How to type standing up on the subway with your phone.

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
dorne
Regular

How to type standing up on the subway with your phone.

#1 Post by dorne »

It is relatively inexpensive to write electronically on the go nowadays. I work during the day and have an hour commute on the subway one way, two if you count the return trip. This is prime time for me to get some writing done. Most times I get lucky if I even get a seat. I have a laptop that is too bulky to be used unless on a desk (the irony), and I prefer a qwerty keyboard to write. So what's a writer to do?

You will need:
A smartphone/tablet with Bluetooth capabilities

These devices are complex enough to do word processing, the main limitation being that on screen qwerty on a small device can hamper the speed at which you write.

Have a Bluetooth keyboard (with batteries).
http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetoot ... h+keyboard

Something like this will allow you to carry a keyboard in a backpack/large purse, that you can pair with your device to write as if you had a laptop.

A bag to carry your keyboard and device.

Step 1: Pair your keyboard with your device

Step 2: Prevent device from sleeping

Step 3: Open up your word processor

Step 4: Write!

But wait, you may ask. How can you type and see at the same time? Those are two devices you'd be juggling! The answer is you don't. You type with your device in your bag, keyboard in front. Yes you will make some mistakes by not seeing a screen, but if you'd been typing so far you can do so with your eyes closed literally. Edit later, and enjoy typing your stream of consciousness.

Won't people stare at you? Yes they will. They will think you are crazy, but to be honest all writers are crazy to some extent.

The main advantage from this is that you get access to a physical keyboard, without the cost and weight of a laptop.

If you do this let me know how you did :)
A Tale of a Meeting. A short sci-fi VN featuring space opera in one part of the universe.

Dorne's Lets Read Visual Novels
https://www.youtube.com/user/dornevn/videos

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

Re: How to type standing up on the subway with your phone.

#2 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Am I the only one who still prefers a good old-fashioned notepad?
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

agentyoda
Regular

#3 Post by agentyoda »

Mad Harlequin wrote:Am I the only one who still prefers a good old-fashioned notepad?
I'm with you on this for notes and thoughts; though I find it difficult to actually do writing on notepads. I prefer the computer for that.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#4 Post by Mad Harlequin »

agentyoda wrote:I'm with you on this for notes and thoughts; though I find it difficult to actually do writing on notepads. I prefer the computer for that.
I'm a little strange. My preference as far as drafting is concerned seems to change with my mood. But for scribbles and brainstorming, I always grab a notepad.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

ketskari
Veteran
Completed: Asher, Sunrise, Tell a Demon
Projects: Asher Remake, TEoA
Organization: Sun Labyrinth
Tumblr: sunlabyrinth
Deviantart: sunlabyrinth
itch: sunlabyrinth

#5 Post by ketskari »

I had a phone with a keypad. Wrote entire chapters on that thing--used it whenever I forgot a notepad or my laptop.

Actually, I think people just thought I was texting, voraciously, since the keypad wasn't separate from the phone.

It died a couple of weeks ago. Wouldn't mind another phone with a keypad (ugh touchscreen), but in the meantime I'm back to pens and mini legal pads.