Writing Experimentation

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

Writing Experimentation

#1 Post by Caveat Lector »

Have you ever experimented in different writing styles and formats and genres, etc. before? How well would you say it paid off? What were the results?

Over this weekend, I decided to try something different: See if I'm capable of writing a whole story over just one weekend. But I decided to start small and go for a six-chapter story. It was interesting. I can't say it's a neat, clean, tidy story, but it did give me a basic idea about certain characteristics of some of my characters, who were otherwise blank slates. It might at least serve as a template for future ideas.

That said, though, I'm not sure if I can really be a six chapter author. It feels a bit odd in some ways, like I have to rush at it. But still worthwhile.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Writing Experimentation

#2 Post by fleet »

I've written different genres (detective, fairy tale, dating sim, horror). My audience has not complained.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#3 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Besides poetry, I haven't yet written anything I consider suitable for public consumption that isn't juvenilia (though I'm working to change that), but I've dabbled in different genres for practice and entertainment. I read so much that I have a decent understanding of what constitutes each genre, and as a result, I have many "story seeds" set aside for possible future use.

I'll get around to them once I finish what's currently on my plate, I think.
Last edited by Mad Harlequin on Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

kmarsel
Projects: Ace Academy, The Tales of Aegasia

#4 Post by kmarsel »

I experiment with different genres, styles, and forms of narratives all the time, and have been fairly successful in my dabbles. I really enjoy writing across genres, so being familiar with multiples genres is important to me.

I'm most comfortable writing flash and short fiction, so creating a VN is my current experimentation.
Looking for feedback:
The Tales of Aegasia

truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

#5 Post by truefaiterman »

I'm used to write action and gore/horror, but I had some surprising success with absurd comedy, and right now I'm working on a novel which has my usual stuff combined with noir, drama, and medieval battles (somehow, the setting allows everything I feel like writing about).

I also try and experiment writing in first person, but I SUFFER a lot. Omniscient narrators are my best friends.
Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#6 Post by Hazel-Bun »

I have and have "failed" in interesting ways haha I'm a flash fiction author at heart so this transition into VN making has been difficult. I either make my writing abundantly "flowery" to some (poetry background), too depressing (there's always a touch of sadness in my works no matter the genre), too short (drabbles/6 word stories are my friends) or, some odd combo of all three.

I'm about to engage with my first novel after I publish my flash fiction anthology so, I've been grappling with writing inside a set genre and much longer than I'm use to as well :D
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#7 Post by Lesleigh63 »

Not so much genre, but going from linear to branching is causing me headaches.