Names and Legality

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

Names and Legality

#1 Post by Caveat Lector »

How and when exactly is it okay to use a name that someone else might already have in the real world? Or might have already been claimed by another fictional character? I mean obviously, you wouldn't try to pass off "Sherlock Holmes" or "Hercule Poirot" as your own creations, but when is it okay to share a name that, upon further investigation, is shared by someone else? What if it turns out the name you had in mind for a character is shared with some random designer whom you didn't even hear of until you googled this particular name? Or an athlete whose name is barely mentioned on the news at all? Or an actor who only appeared in one movie ever and doesn't even have an IMDB page or a Wikipedia page?
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

Re: Names and Legality

#2 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Caveat Lector wrote:How and when exactly is it okay to use a name that someone else might already have in the real world?
Answer: Any time you damned well please.
-- However... If its Sounds realistic, it probably IS realistic. In other words, it's highly likely that the name is in-use by someone somewhere. That's why published works of fiction have a disclaimer at the beginning, usually before the title page:
This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.
It's to keep authors and other creators from being sued by people with the same name as a fictional character.

For more info: This Is a Work of Fiction - TV Tropes
Last edited by OokamiKasumi on Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#3 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Caveat Lector wrote:What if it turns out the name you had in mind for a character is shared with some random designer whom you didn't even hear of until you googled this particular name? Or an athlete whose name is barely mentioned on the news at all? Or an actor who only appeared in one movie ever and doesn't even have an IMDB page or a Wikipedia page?
You're safe. It's not as if you're copying an identity point-for-point. You're just using a name.

I mean, John Smith is a historical figure, but his name is also one of the most common in English-speaking parts of the world.
OokamiKasumi wrote:It's to keep authors and other creators from being sued by people with the same name as a fictional character.
Yes, that's exactly right.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#4 Post by YossarianIII »

Fun fact: If you live in the US or UK, Sherlock Holmes is public domain.

So actually yes, if you do ever feel like making a Jorge Borge-esque VN where you claim Sherlock Holmes is your own invention and you've never heard of that Arthur Conan Doyle guy, you totally could.*

*(I think. Please don't take me as an authority on international copyright law!)

Image Image

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#5 Post by Caveat Lector »

Thanks to everyone for your advice so far!
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete