Changing point of view

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
yoshibb
Veteran

Changing point of view

#1 Post by yoshibb »

Hey! Looking for some advice for something related to my game in NaNo. There are a couple times in my stories where I want to switch points of view because there are some scenes that the protagonist isn't a part of but I'd still like to show the scenes. I've been switching from first to third person during these circumstances, but I'm kind of worried that the reader will get confused about the changes. Has anyone else dealt with this before? How would you handle this?

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

Re: Changing point of view

#2 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Which type of third person are you using? Is it third person omniscient?

It's certainly possible to switch perspectives between characters, and some writers do this very well. The easiest way is to do it chapter by chapter. I've even seen authors put the name of the character whose mind we're entering in the chapter title. (That tactic is a little heavy-handed for me, but I can see how it's useful in multi-character, multi-perspective works. If memory serves, George R.R. Martin uses it in his series.)

You can switch between scenes as well, but that takes a bit more finesse.

You may want to consider using third person limited in place of third person omniscient when you switch, as the reader will be able to observe a scene through a character's eyes without relying on first person narration. All you need to do for these scenes, since your protagonist isn't present, is select a character for the reader to follow.

Useful reading:

Point of View From My Point of View

Third Person Limited Narrator: Definition and Examples
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

yoshibb
Veteran

#3 Post by yoshibb »

Mad Harlequin wrote:Which type of third person are you using? Is it third person omniscient?

It's certainly possible to switch perspectives between characters, and some writers do this very well. The easiest way is to do it chapter by chapter. I've even seen authors put the name of the character whose mind we're entering in the chapter title.

You can switch between scenes as well, but that takes a bit more finesse.

You may want to consider using third person limited in place of third person omniscient when you switch, as the reader will be able to observe a scene through a character's eyes without relying on first person narration. All you need to do for these scenes, since your protagonist isn't present, is select a character for the reader to follow.

Useful reading:

Point of View From My Point of View

Third Person Limited Narrator: Definition and Examples
Yeah, I'm using third person limited. And it's only one other person that I switch to, none of the other characters. I tried to make it in a way where the protagonist could be there, but it doesn't make sense. It is happening between scenes. Would it be weird to a transition with something like "Meanwhile, back at the cave"? Not that cheesy but something like that.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Mad Harlequin »

yoshibb wrote:Yeah, I'm using third person limited. And it's only one other person that I switch to, none of the other characters. I tried to make it in a way where the protagonist could be there, but it doesn't make sense. It is happening between scenes. Would it be weird to a transition with something like "Meanwhile, back at the cave"? Not that cheesy but something like that.
Oh, you can do something like that without too much trouble. There's bound to be a way to switch more elegantly than that (your example reminds me of the '60s Batman screen transition . . . :lol:), but don't beat yourself up if you can't smooth things out right away. The most important thing is that you have a reason for switching, and you do.

Good luck!
Last edited by Mad Harlequin on Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

yoshibb
Veteran

#5 Post by yoshibb »

Mad Harlequin wrote:
yoshibb wrote:Yeah, I'm using third person limited. And it's only one other person that I switch to, none of the other characters. I tried to make it in a way where the protagonist could be there, but it doesn't make sense. It is happening between scenes. Would it be weird to a transition with something like "Meanwhile, back at the cave"? Not that cheesy but something like that.
Oh, you can do something like that without too much trouble. There's bound to be a way to switch more elegantly than that (your example reminds me of the '60s Batman screen transition . . . :lol:), but don't beat yourself up if you can't smooth things out right way. The most important thing is that you have a reason for switching, and you do.

Good luck!
lol, I know, it must be on my mind because of your avatar. Thanks for your help :D

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Mad Harlequin »

yoshibb wrote:lol, I know, it must be on my mind because of your avatar. Thanks for your help :D
No problem! Feel free to ask if you need somebody to look at your transitions!
— Mark Twain

Le Hewitt
Projects: point blank notation (NaNoRenO 2015)
Tumblr: dreamsofpriapia
Deviantart: lehewitt

#7 Post by Le Hewitt »

If My Heart Had Wings did this quite frequently throughout the story, and it always seemed to work out pretty well just so long as what was being shown was relevant to the main protagonist in some way or served to heighten dramatic tension by showing something that we as the player would learn and the protagonist would not. I'd say just be careful with it, don't use it too much. But in the case that it can help further your story, go for it! If My Heart Had Wings was told in the first person, and tackled this issue in an interesting way by merely switching to somebody else. For example, you're talking to someone and they are going to bed, and then just as that scene ends, another begins with that person in their room and you seeing from their perspective as you gain insight to what they are really thinking. Of course, you could go with changing from first to third to accomplish this, however to me it seems a little more jarring.

On the other hand, if you have no main protagonist, i.e. A Song of Ice and Fire. Then it really doesn't matter at all.
ImageImage
(production to begin in March)

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Le Hewitt wrote:On the other hand, if you have no main protagonist, i.e. A Song of Ice and Fire. Then it really doesn't matter at all.
George R.R. Martin is one author who labels his chapters with character names when changing perspective---and with a cast that size, I can understand why---but any writers worth their salt will still make sure the reader isn't subjected to what's called "head-hopping," regardless of the presence or lack of a single main protagonist.
— Mark Twain