Effective villain protagonists

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

Re: Effective villain protagonists

#16 Post by YossarianIII »

Image Image

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#17 Post by Katy133 »

One think I find interesting that I see in effective villains in general (not just villain protagonists) is that they've convinced themselves that they are the goodies, rather than the baddies.

I think that's one of the reasons why I find Frollo such an interesting villain in Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Also, you may want to avoid (or at least use caution with) using money as the villain's main motivation. I've always found this to make villains boring, but that may just be a personal preference.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

#18 Post by truefaiterman »

Katy133 wrote: Also, you may want to avoid (or at least use caution with) using money as the villain's main motivation. I've always found this to make villains boring, but that may just be a personal preference.
THIS.

But I'd add something here: money itself is a good motivation, but as stated it's not the best for the main one. If your villain (even being the protagonist) wants money, it's better if it's as a way to get another thing. It doesn't even have to be a "good" motivation or anything like that. It's simply not the same to have a character who, for example, grew up in extreme poverty (reason for wishing to have money) until he became extremely power-hungry (motivation to become rich) once he somehow manages to save money, and even when becoming rich just needs more out of the fear to repeat his early years (explanation for his absurd greed)...

... than having a millonaire who just feels like stop being "rich" to become "stupid rich". Yeah, TMNT's big bad. I'm talking about you.
Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image