Using the same secrets in paraller worlds

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
RunereianLilli
Projects: Flow of Phantasmagoria
Deviantart: RunereiaNoRirii

Using the same secrets in paraller worlds

#1 Post by RunereianLilli »

I'm bugged by this a lot.

Here's the deal:

I have some dramatic ideas for a novel (not a VN) that I am writing from time to time.
But since both my VN and my written novel have similiar cast of characters, I am tempted to incorporate their "secrets" in both.

Let me explain, my novel has a lot more serious and dark storyline than my current VN project, and I am tempted to use some ideas from my novel in my VN, since there are similiar/same characters, but set in a different world, without any other connection to the VN; like not having any knowlege of EVER being in another world, therefore being genuine.

The problem here is for the readers: A secret is something that is going to leak out eventually, to create an element of surprise for the reader, BUT: What if two stories use the same idea, and the same reader reads BOTH the novel and plays the VN? Then? Then the surprise will be ruined... I am not saying this wouldn't work if there was a novel and it had a game adaptation, however, I am talking about two different worlds with the same characters, and therefore a different story. It's even more problematic if the VN is not as dark as the novel, so the "secret" is told differently.

Any ideas what should I do?

Kailoto
Veteran
Completed: No VNs, but a few novels. :D
Projects: Artificial, Seven Deaths (inactive)

Re: Using the same secrets in paraller worlds

#2 Post by Kailoto »

Fun story: I once wanted to write a certain novel, but then I played a bunch of visual novels and grew to like the medium. The idea eventually morphed into a full-on VN because I kept adding ideas that would utilize the different mediums. And so now the novel doesn't exist, as it was cannibalized by the visual novel entirely.

I'm a little confused on the difference between the casts, as in one case you state they're similar, but in another you state they're the same. Regardless, though, I think you should tackle the problem from the inside of the story, rather than how the two relate. Instead of thinking about it in terms of borrowing ideas from one story and transplanting them into the other, try to come up with something original from the story in question - completely ignoring what is in the other story. Each story should be true to itself, and if they still end up being similar in the end, then it just means that the stories are similar. I just don't think you should focus on making them distinct from each other or vice versa.
Things I've Written:
Sakura (Novel, Self Published, 80,000+ words)
City and Girl (Novel, First Draft, 70,000+ words)
Loka (Novel, Third Draft, 120,000+ words)

A layabout writer and programmer with lots of problems and even more ideas. Hyped for Persona 5.

Ozitiho
Regular

#3 Post by Ozitiho »

Taking to heart what Kailoto said before me, I like the idea of the same characters in different universes. If there's reason enough to read the novel and play the VN, I don't think it has to be a bad thing to already know the character's secrets when doing the other. If it's done well, I think I could be excited that I already know where things are going and that I understand all the early vague hints being dropped.

Do you ever get that feeling when re-reading a book or VN? You'll notice things that you couldn't possibly have noticed before. Because you didn't know what they were referring to at the time. But now that you do it enhances the experience. I'd tell you not to be afraid to give this concept a shot if you want to. But do it because you like the concept, not because you don't want to come up with new characters.

truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

#4 Post by truefaiterman »

If you feel the secrets can be less interesting once known, you can always try to play with expectations, making people believe everything will be just like before, and then surprising them with a twist, or some kind of deconstruction of your earlier story or something like that.
Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image

YonYonYon
Veteran
Projects: Nightflower(Frozen), Reach the Starlight(WIP)

#5 Post by YonYonYon »

Look at your story. Look at your world. Then make them work.

Even with similar/same characters the worlds and the stories are different, I assume. I doubt the characters will have the same reaction to different events. Make the story your base and think of new secrets and new twists.

Or, if your events are the same too, then you're writing the same story, but just under different frosting. Then your question kinda loses its meaning.
ImageImage

Kailoto
Veteran
Completed: No VNs, but a few novels. :D
Projects: Artificial, Seven Deaths (inactive)

#6 Post by Kailoto »

Ozitiho wrote:Taking to heart what Kailoto said before me, I like the idea of the same characters in different universes. If there's reason enough to read the novel and play the VN, I don't think it has to be a bad thing to already know the character's secrets when doing the other. If it's done well, I think I could be excited that I already know where things are going and that I understand all the early vague hints being dropped.

Do you ever get that feeling when re-reading a book or VN? You'll notice things that you couldn't possibly have noticed before. Because you didn't know what they were referring to at the time. But now that you do it enhances the experience. I'd tell you not to be afraid to give this concept a shot if you want to. But do it because you like the concept, not because you don't want to come up with new characters.
I actually think Ozitiho here has given you a better answer than I did. Just because people might know the secrets doesn't mean the story loses all meaning. I still replay the Ace Attorney games all the time, despite knowing every in and out of all the cases, because the story and characters are fun.
Things I've Written:
Sakura (Novel, Self Published, 80,000+ words)
City and Girl (Novel, First Draft, 70,000+ words)
Loka (Novel, Third Draft, 120,000+ words)

A layabout writer and programmer with lots of problems and even more ideas. Hyped for Persona 5.