Music Creation~ Where Do You Start When Composing?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

Re: Music Creation~ Where Do You Start When Composing?

#31 Post by Tempus »

Arin the Eloquent wrote:Why would I find something like making music "fun"? I'm in it for the business ethic, otherwise what's the point? And I'm probably going to get the comment "that sounds miserable" and what not, but honestly, that's just the way the world works.
And what's the point of business? To make money? What's the point of money? To live? What's the point of living? To do more business?
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

Tenken

#32 Post by Tenken »

I'll just place this here.
“The inexpressible depth of music, so easy to understand and yet so inexplicable, is due to the fact that it reproduces all the emotions of our innermost being, but entirely without reality and remote from its pain… Music expresses only the quintessence of life and its events, never these themselves.” - Arthur Schopenhauer

Ryuno
Regular
Completed: tuesday
Soundcloud: ryunocore

#33 Post by Ryuno »

I either start with drums or the main rhythm instrument, always at the climax section of the song: once I have that down, I'll work on how to build up to it and cool down from it, but I like knowing where I'm heading. It's very similar to my story writing process. Having a solid foundation from the get-go minimizes the chances of falling into endless tweaking phases.
Arin the Eloquent wrote:Why would I find something like making music "fun"? I'm in it for the business ethic, otherwise what's the point? And I'm probably going to get the comment "that sounds miserable" and what not, but honestly, that's just the way the world works.
The point is that it's easier to stay motivated and focused to do things on a bad day if you actually enjoy them, and if you're taking this as a career it might be in your best interest to know you'll be comfortable with what you're doing even when you're not at the top of your game. I've had to meet deadlines under physical pain and sickness in the past, and while I wouldn't say it's necessary that you enjoy your job, it sure helps to unironically think "I'm so glad I'm doing this instead of sleeping". There is a saying that goes "find a job you like, and you won't have to work a day in your life". Sometimes me and my clients don't agree on things, but that doesn't make me enjoy my job any less. If you're fine with having this point of view and think you can handle working like that long-term, that's your business, but life isn't black and white and those aren't the only choices available. You might have just not found something profitable that you really want to do... and you might never, same as many in the world. I understand your point of view and I don't find it sad, but from that post I get the impression you're not fully aware of the possibilities you have in life and that would be quite a shame.