How do you animate?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
Kari-Chan
Projects: The Culprit [On hold]
IRC Nick: Kari-Chan

Re: How do you animate?

#16 Post by Kari-Chan »

For traditional animations, I would recommend Pencil. I use art programs such as Paint tool SAI and Paint.net to animate frame by frame. I barely know anything about the other kid of animation, the stick motion/figure animation.
Katsu!

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

Re: How do you animate?

#17 Post by Katy133 »

briannavon wrote:What free programs are there?
I'm an animator, and so far I've used the following programs for 2D animation:

- Pencil Check Pro (good for quickly figuring out/experimenting the timing of the animation)
- After Effects (good for cut-out style animation)
- Photoshop (CS6)
- Adobe Flash
- Flip-Boom All-star
- 3ds Max (For 2D animation, I mainly use this for blocking out props/characters in a scene that has complex camera movement)
briannavon wrote:Do you have to draw second by second?
Most animators are taught to animate 24 frames per second, but many indie/Flash animators will animate 12 frames per second (fps): That's half of 24.
So for example, in Photoshop, you can set each frame to play for 0.04 seconds if you animate 24 fps (1 sec divided by 24 frames = 0.04), or 0.08 seconds if you animate 24 fps (1 sec divided by 12 frames = 0.08).

Also, the majority of animators will plan out their animation by breaking down a scene into keyframes (key poses), and then add the in-between frames. That way, the animator can experiment with timing (during the keyframes stage) to make the animation look more organic.

Hope this helps!
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!