Music Showcase

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
TerracottaPie
Regular
Organization: Hikage Studios, Leveretta dev.

Music Showcase

#1 Post by TerracottaPie »

In short, I'm a composer/guitarist who can compose in a number of styles.

Here's some tracks ranging across a few different styles.

https://soundcloud.com/terracottapie-1/recent-samples

Not taking any projects currently.
Last edited by TerracottaPie on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:01 am, edited 4 times in total.

JKOL
Projects: Wasurenagasa

Re: Music Showcase

#2 Post by JKOL »

Hello! Welcome to the forums.
It's nice to see more composers here. :)

I don't think your link is working, at least not on my computer.
I got it to work by removing the #.

Your music sounds good and I hope you'll find some projects to work on. :)

TerracottaPie
Regular

#3 Post by TerracottaPie »

Ah, thanks for catching that, I've fixed that now.

I appreciate the welcome. Looking forward to expanding my musical talents.

It's always interesting to compose for others over yourself and a good way to push your boundaries, I find :wink:

Appreciate the compliment, too :D

Cheers.

ToddSmithComposer
Projects: Heartful Memory

#4 Post by ToddSmithComposer »

What software do you use? I have possibly the worst sound libraries in the world at the moment and I really need to upgrade haha

TerracottaPie
Regular

#5 Post by TerracottaPie »

ToddSmithComposer wrote:What software do you use? I have possibly the worst sound libraries in the world at the moment and I really need to upgrade haha
Unfortunately the software is only the half of it. The best sound libraries tend to be separate and they're never cheap.

The stuff on my soundcloud was done in Logic Pro, which is a mac-only product. It comes with a respectable sound library though it falls short in a few cases (and the best sound libraries tend to be expensive). On the bright side, most of it was done using Logic or Garageband sound libraries with maybe the odd exception.

I used to use Pro Tools but personally prefer Logic when composing with virtual instruments. Pro Tools is still a top-notch product aswell, mind you. I feel Pro Tools is better for live recordings and Logic is better for virtual instruments, though both work well enough in eachother's territory.

There's Ableton aswell, but I've never used it and can't really comment. I believe it's used mostly for electronic music and sampling. I also believe it's particularly expensive (off the top of my head).

Eitherway they'll just give you a fairly basic (if acceptable) sound library.

If you want to get the good stuff you'll have to pay extra to get sound libraries from elsewhere. They tend to be quality work but it doesn't make life any cheaper.

I'd offer some sound library suggestions if I had a bigger collection built up myself. If you just shop around for a specific instrument(s) you're after you'll get results, though (expensive ones most likely).

I actually haven't been using digital audio workstations for long as I used to compose for live performances/instruments (and used to occasionally perform myself).

In short, the better stuff tends to be expensive. If you're willing and able you can still get decent quality stuff out of cheaper programs but there is a noticeable difference. What are you currently using, may I ask?

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

#6 Post by Tempus »

Hey, another Australian composer! I had a listen to a few tracks. I enjoyed "Tears" -- good job. One thought I had while listening is that one tracks was probably too heavy for VN music. Though I guess that depends on the game really and where it's used. Maybe create a playlist organising stuff? That's what I do when applying; link to a playlist to control what people hear first and make sure it's relevant to their project. I dunno whether that's helpful, haha.
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

TerracottaPie
Regular

#7 Post by TerracottaPie »

Tempus wrote:Hey, another Australian composer! I had a listen to a few tracks. I enjoyed "Tears" -- good job. One thought I had while listening is that one tracks was probably too heavy for VN music. Though I guess that depends on the game really and where it's used. Maybe create a playlist organising stuff? That's what I do when applying; link to a playlist to control what people hear first and make sure it's relevant to their project. I dunno whether that's helpful, haha.
Not all the music on display is necessarily for VN use. I was more just throwing up a random variety of old tracks, some of which were designed to loop, some of which weren't designed for VNs or games at all. The heavier track, which I'm assuming was 'Masquerade' is more along the lines of what I compose as a guitarist, not as a composer. There's only ten or so tracks up there currently, and they're more just to display a bit of variety. I don't know what would even be relevant to people here as everyone has a different project and goal in mind. Still, I'll keep the suggestion in mind and probably start organising playlists if and when I upload more tracks.

P.S. Wasn't expecting to see another Australian Composer around. Had a quick look through your soundcloud and it's sounding pretty good to me.

ToddSmithComposer
Projects: Heartful Memory

#8 Post by ToddSmithComposer »

TerracottaPie wrote:
ToddSmithComposer wrote:What software do you use? I have possibly the worst sound libraries in the world at the moment and I really need to upgrade haha
Unfortunately the software is only the half of it. The best sound libraries tend to be separate and they're never cheap.

The stuff on my soundcloud was done in Logic Pro, which is a mac-only product. It comes with a respectable sound library though it falls short in a few cases (and the best sound libraries tend to be expensive). On the bright side, most of it was done using Logic or Garageband sound libraries with maybe the odd exception.

I used to use Pro Tools but personally prefer Logic when composing with virtual instruments. Pro Tools is still a top-notch product aswell, mind you. I feel Pro Tools is better for live recordings and Logic is better for virtual instruments, though both work well enough in eachother's territory.

There's Ableton aswell, but I've never used it and can't really comment. I believe it's used mostly for electronic music and sampling. I also believe it's particularly expensive (off the top of my head).

Eitherway they'll just give you a fairly basic (if acceptable) sound library.

If you want to get the good stuff you'll have to pay extra to get sound libraries from elsewhere. They tend to be quality work but it doesn't make life any cheaper.

I'd offer some sound library suggestions if I had a bigger collection built up myself. If you just shop around for a specific instrument(s) you're after you'll get results, though (expensive ones most likely).

I actually haven't been using digital audio workstations for long as I used to compose for live performances/instruments (and used to occasionally perform myself).

In short, the better stuff tends to be expensive. If you're willing and able you can still get decent quality stuff out of cheaper programs but there is a noticeable difference. What are you currently using, may I ask?
I'm currently using the sibelius 7 software and the sound library that goes with it. I want to get a better one purely because some of the sounds for instruments I use quite a lot(brass section, woodwind section) are pretty rubbish and sound nothing like what it should be. I've been looking at garritan personal orchestra for that, but I want to add a bit more electronic sound to my music, as orchestra and computers happen to sound pretty good together haha so I follow with another question. What softwares and sound libraries sound the best when working with electronic sounds, because I have no idea what to look for?

merdeamour
Veteran
Projects: Taleweaver's Curse

#9 Post by merdeamour »

I have to say that I absolutely love 'Masquerade'. It reminds me of my favorite bands, and I'm having fun wondering how it will sound like with vocals. It's amazing, really <333 (I wish my band could come up with songs like that ahaha).
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
-Vincent van Gogh
I manage a blog, Another Otome Diary where I give my two cents on otomes I've played. Check it out, or let me know if you want a game of yours reviewed!

TerracottaPie
Regular

#10 Post by TerracottaPie »

ToddSmithComposer wrote:I'm currently using the sibelius 7 software and the sound library that goes with it. I want to get a better one purely because some of the sounds for instruments I use quite a lot(brass section, woodwind section) are pretty rubbish and sound nothing like what it should be. I've been looking at garritan personal orchestra for that, but I want to add a bit more electronic sound to my music, as orchestra and computers happen to sound pretty good together haha so I follow with another question. What softwares and sound libraries sound the best when working with electronic sounds, because I have no idea what to look for?
I thought it might be Sibelius. Programs like Sibelius and Finale Notepad are good for scoring music, less so for producing it. I believe Sibelius can still make use of sound libraries, though. I find brass is a particularly difficult instrument-type to find a good library for, though there's a few choice selections out there depending on what you intend to use the brass for. Garritan Personal Orchestra looks like it covers a pretty decent range of instruments, just be sure to check that it will work with whatever software you're using or intend to use.

I'd have to ask what kind of electronic music/additions you're thinking of. If you're refering to synthesisers and the like then any DAW should cover it pretty well. If you're looking into something along the lines of Dubstep or other similar electronic styles then it's a different ballpark again. Any DAW should be able to manage what you have in mind, just some will be more suited to it than others (Ableton is supposed to be good for electronic music, can't say whether it will be more difficult to handle orchestral music with it, though). Writing for things like dubstep and sample-based music tends to do away with traditional scoring methods. You'd want to research it a little first. Regardless anything should sound good together if written and mixed well. In the case electronic just means electronic instruments, any DAW will work. They tend to come stocked with lots of synth sounds that can be tweaked pretty easily. It's all up to your imagination how you combine them with other sounds.

If you haven't used a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) before, then perhaps start with a cheaper one (GarageBand is a fairly cheap mac product and is like a cut down version of Logic) and skip getting any extra sound libraries to just give yourself time to familiarise yourself with how a DAW works (They all tend to be fairly similar). The best sound libraries won't do much for you unless you know how to use a DAW.

To throw out a few sound libraries, Native Instruments has a fairly large collection. There's also Xpand2. Chris Hein has a selection that seems quite Jazz orientated. Superior Drummer is a great place to go for a good drumkit. There's plenty of others as well, just remember to check what software they're compatible with beforehand.

I hope I'm atleast somewhat helpful :wink:

TerracottaPie
Regular

#11 Post by TerracottaPie »

tnm6
Regular
Projects: Among the Distant Stars, Stained with Magic, The Remembrance Trilogy: Reminiscence
Organization: Anansi Media

#12 Post by tnm6 »

I can personally attest to Terra's amazing skill as a composer. I've been working with him on several projects and have NEVER encountered someone so easy to work with and who enjoys his work so thoroughly. If you ever land Terra for a project consider yourself blessed because you've recruited a phenomenal talent who will stick with you for the long haul and will immerse himself in the project.