Could I get some song input/critiques?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
Mondonater

Could I get some song input/critiques?

#1 Post by Mondonater »

So I'm working on a project (technically there's two of us, but my co-musician tends to disappear) that's been going on for a while. I'm confident enough
in our musical abilities, but I don't really have anyone in particular available to give me an assessment or critique of my work. I would appreciate it if you'd give our stuff a listen, maybe throw a pointer or two my way. Anything helps!
https://soundcloud.com/alienworks-1
Our project Soundcloud.

Didules
Veteran
Completed: Sophie, Midnight's Café, The Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: SchizoValentine
Organization: Hidden Masquerade
Tumblr: hidden-masquerade

Re: Could I get some song input/critiques?

#2 Post by Didules »

Hi there!
First of all: I'm not a pro or anything like that and I don't do music or anything, but here is my thoughts as someone who likes music:
- You are right to be confident in your abilities because you are good. Your musics are actually really nice, they are great backgrounds musics!
- Some of your musics were a bit repetitive for me (the ones at the beginning of the playlist), not the music itslef but they had the same rythms so I didn't even know anymore if I had changed music (doing something else while listening so I couldn't see the screen).
- You have some original pieces that are great!! Winter Calm and A Playful Mystery are my favorites so far, A Playful Mystry is wonderful because it isn't repetitive and yet it doesn't take all the attention of the listener, congratulation for doing such a great music!! Are We Learning Yet is also quite nice! You have varied kind of musics, that's great :)
Well, I don't have anything to say apart from that because everything else is about personnal taste I think (how much one will like more electro musics or piano, ...), but I thank you for putting your soundcloud here, I'll follow you from now onwards!
Good night.

canyouseeitnow

Re: Could I get some song input/critiques?

#3 Post by canyouseeitnow »

Strong compositions all around.

However, the percussive department can use some love.

1. You should be automating the drums more. If the piano is velocity controlled, that means the drums should get the same amount of love.
2. Consider using fills, and mix up the beat. Use crashes, and hihat sizzle to accent. You can also use the ride.
3. Use ghost notes. A quick intro to ghost notes if you don't know: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciA3Uhn9JuI
4. I find that the hihats are a bit too overbearing.

Happy composing!~