Music feedback

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
MayPeX
Regular
Projects: The Treated, Casey
IRC Nick: MayPeX

Music feedback

#1 Post by MayPeX »

Like all the aspiring music composers/producers here.

I too am looking for some sort of feedback/critique.

Here's my page of sounds so far.
https://soundcloud.com/genlec

Any response from any track would be nice but most importantly I'm looking at getting suggestions or comments back on this:
https://soundcloud.com/genlec/warm-rive ... ated-title

This track in particular is a sort of final draft for a visual novel I been coming up with.

If there any questions regarding anything I'm more than happy to reply with the best answer I can give.

canyouseeitnow

Re: Music feedback

#2 Post by canyouseeitnow »

I feel like it has a lot of potential to be an amazing song, but it lacks some execution.

1. The intro drums, the metal toms I believe you have, is very anticlimatic and does not match with the tension of the piano. Consider using cymbal swells, or using *sparkled* cymbals (cymbals with ball chains) to build tension for the first two rolls.
2. The countermelody in the mid-section doesn't flow very well.
3. Very little variety in the piano section. Try to add in a couple of accents on the upper register. There are times when you could've made some interesting chord plays. There are some parts that would sound wonderful with the addition of grace notes, particularly in the quiet section early on.
4. Tempo and timing. Move up the tempo as it gets more powerful. Use a caesura ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesura ) to build tension. Caesura is a wonderful musical device that can create tension without playing anything at all!
5. Dynamic dynamics DYNAMICS. This would have made the biggest difference in my opinion. Expand the dynamics of the piano. Slam the keyboard. Go through phrases of strong, soft, strong, soft. Make it breathe.

Ryuno
Regular
Completed: tuesday
Soundcloud: ryunocore

Re: Music feedback

#3 Post by Ryuno »

canyouseeitnow wrote:I feel like it has a lot of potential to be an amazing song, but it lacks some execution.

1. The intro drums, the metal toms I believe you have, is very anticlimatic and does not match with the tension of the piano. Consider using cymbal swells, or using *sparkled* cymbals (cymbals with ball chains) to build tension for the first two rolls.
2. The countermelody in the mid-section doesn't flow very well.
3. Very little variety in the piano section. Try to add in a couple of accents on the upper register. There are times when you could've made some interesting chord plays. There are some parts that would sound wonderful with the addition of grace notes, particularly in the quiet section early on.
4. Tempo and timing. Move up the tempo as it gets more powerful. Use a caesura ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesura ) to build tension. Caesura is a wonderful musical device that can create tension without playing anything at all!
5. Dynamic dynamics DYNAMICS. This would have made the biggest difference in my opinion. Expand the dynamics of the piano. Slam the keyboard. Go through phrases of strong, soft, strong, soft. Make it breathe.
All of this would be worth looking into, but what I think your song is having most issues with is the fact the levels of the instruments are all over the place. Literally everything seems louder than your lead instrument, in case, the piano, and there were points where effects and drums being too loud made the rest of the track disappear (unintentional side-chaining).

You might want to have some long reverb (maybe a plate one?) going on your master bus to help gel things together too, because especially at the end I heard moments that abruptly went to complete silence.