How to do a sexy male voice?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

How to do a sexy male voice?

#1 Post by noeinan »

So, I've been trying to figure out how to make a masculine voice sound sexier. I have a naturally high voice, so my first instinct is to lower it, but when I do that (and keep the expressiveness in my voice) it sounds unnatural and creepy. If I keep my voice flatter, I can get a more masculine sound but it's not sexy anymore.

Also, I haven't been able to find any good tips on youtube or elsewhere online. Only studies saying men can't make their voices sound sexier, apparently. If anyone has any advice on how to do this, even with editing software or other means, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advanced!

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: How to do a sexy male voice?

#2 Post by LVUER »

First define what is sexy, I mean what kind of male voice that is sexy. Of course it will be different from person to person.

But anyway, here's what I found on the net -> http://womenattracted.com/how-to-get-a- ... cts-women/
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#3 Post by trooper6 »

Stereotypically, within normative gender binary social standards...
To make a female voice "sexier" go more breathy.
To make a male voice "sexier" go more gravelly.

*Note...this is only what is normatively understood to be sexy--which is based in sexist gender norms, but society is sexist, so what are you going to do? Also, different people find different things sexy. Also, don't overdo either the breathy or the gravelly...a little goes a long way.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#4 Post by noeinan »

Thanks for the resources/tips guys!

To give more details, the voice I'm going for isn't sexy by normative gender standards... Definitely more expressive than would be considered manly-- thus why I'm having such a hard time. I have a higher pitched voice, so I have to edit my voice in audacity to make it deeper. But when I do this, it only sounds natural with a very flat tone-- any expressiveness automatically makes it all weird.

It's hard to describe the voice I'm going for, but the closest analogy I've come up with is a cross between George Takei and Jessica Rabbit. The character is an actor and a sex symbol in a futuristic setting with very different gender roles than our own-- he has a very nice, deep, resonant voice like George Takei, but speaks with femme fatale inflections, like Jessica Rabbit.

I know I can do a sexy femme fatale voice with minor editing, but because of the expressiveness lowering the pitch doesn't make it sound more masculine? It just sounds like a woman with a low voice-- and I want Takeem to have a definitely masculine voice, just speaking with more expression than typically men are socialized to in *our* society.

To make my voice sound masculine, I have to try to speak in a manner men are typically socialized to speak and that ruins the sexy expressiveness. I think it might just be a physical limitation on my part, because I've got a higher, more feminine voice and I'm trying to sound like someone with a lower, more masculine voice speaking in a "female socialized" manner.

Maybe I should just get one of my friends with a lower voice to help me, but it's for a role playing campaign (that will eventually be made into a visual novel) and I wanted the lines to be a surprise for him. Hrm.

[Edit]

Another problem is I don't know of anyone who has a voice like that, so I can't find anything to imitate-- I've just been trying things again and again hoping something works, haha. So, if anyone knows a celebrity or youtube person with a voice similar to what I'm describing, I would certainly appreciate a link so I can steal their secrets!

plaster
Regular
Tumblr: plasterbrain
Soundcloud: plasterbrain

#5 Post by plaster »

Channel your inner Johnny Young Bosch.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#6 Post by trooper6 »

daikiraikimi wrote: Another problem is I don't know of anyone who has a voice like that, so I can't find anything to imitate-- I've just been trying things again and again hoping something works, haha. So, if anyone knows a celebrity or youtube person with a voice similar to what I'm describing, I would certainly appreciate a link so I can steal their secrets!
Well, you already alluded to a person with the voice you want, George Takei...but when he is speaking with a camp sort of style rather then when he is speaking without it. Deep voice, with feminine-coded vocal inflections. All the qualities you wanted there.

Now, if you personally can emulate Takei...that is another question.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978