How to find music that matches the situation in VN?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
Akitsuki
Veteran
Deviantart: ak-itsuki
Discord: fsalmon#5522

How to find music that matches the situation in VN?

#1 Post by Akitsuki »

Okay, I don't know if someone already made this kind of topic but I had searched for it and found nothing.
It was just a fast search though, please tell me if there is one.

You see, I just started making my first game and for now, I'm still working on the story and art since those are my favorite parts. Then I decide to start looking for the background music from websites that offer free bgm. And since I don't know what kind of musics I will need, I basically started listening and ended up downloading most of the musics from the list that I think I'll use.

For now, I only have plans to finish the story and start deciding which music will go well during a situation. But I'm not sure if it'll be fitting enough because I'll just use my feelings LOL. Or is there any detailed descriptions about what type of music will match a sad or happy situation?

Or, what do you usually do to decide which music you will use?

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

Re: How to find music that matches the situation in VN?

#2 Post by Asceai »

There's nothing like that. You can categorise music into things like 'slice of life' 'tense' 'emotional' etc. but really, just listen to the music and decide where it goes. When you need to use a track, listen to the music and pick a track.

Akitsuki
Veteran

#3 Post by Akitsuki »

Asceai wrote:There's nothing like that. You can categorise music into things like 'slice of life' 'tense' 'emotional' etc. but really, just listen to the music and decide where it goes. When you need to use a track, listen to the music and pick a track.
Eh, that's all? Because somehow I don't have any confidence with my music choice LOL. But thanks though!

kisa
Veteran
Completed: Brother Rose, Dogs Alone
Projects: So many projects, I can't name them.
Deviantart: tsubasafan135
itch: kisa

#4 Post by kisa »

If you don't trust your own judgement for what music would work well where... Try referencing a couple shows you like the music arrangements of and use that to compare how well your choices go with the mood. (Not saying you'll be able to get the exact amount of impact you want every time. But, it helps me)
I'm offering commissions!
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=41656

Shoko
Regular
Soundcloud: shokomusic

#5 Post by Shoko »

Music placment is all about feelings...it's the whole reason they're in VNs to begin with. If you think they fit then you're probably right. Let a beta-tester give you a second opinion if you want, but it's not rocket science.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#6 Post by Ran08 »

Shoko wrote:Music placment is all about feelings...it's the whole reason they're in VNs to begin with. If you think they fit then you're probably right.
This! :)

When I choose music for my games, I usually listen to them as I write. :D If a track feels perfect for the scene, then I pick that one. ^^

Akitsuki
Veteran

#7 Post by Akitsuki »

kisa wrote:If you don't trust your own judgement for what music would work well where... Try referencing a couple shows you like the music arrangements of and use that to compare how well your choices go with the mood. (Not saying you'll be able to get the exact amount of impact you want every time. But, it helps me)
Oh, that sounds good for reference!
Actually I barely pay attention to background music whenever I watch TV or such LOL but I'll try!
Shoko wrote:Music placment is all about feelings...it's the whole reason they're in VNs to begin with. If you think they fit then you're probably right. Let a beta-tester give you a second opinion if you want, but it's not rocket science.
I see.. More like trying to give a certain feeling to the 'reader', so you should try it first eh.
Beta-tester sounds great too! It'll help us guessing what the audience will think too, won't it?
Ran08 wrote:
Shoko wrote:Music placment is all about feelings...it's the whole reason they're in VNs to begin with. If you think they fit then you're probably right.
This! :)

When I choose music for my games, I usually listen to them as I write. :D If a track feels perfect for the scene, then I pick that one. ^^
Oh, I never thought about that! I'll try it then when I have enough musics ready! Thanks!