Is there any tuts on creating music?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

Is there any tuts on creating music?

#1 Post by Rinima »

I want to stay making some simple, yet mice tunes, but have no idea how (I've tried a couple of times in the past), and when I've gone on a quest for tuts for music creation, nothing has come up. Does anyone have any links ect one creating music?

p.s. I have basic music knowledge due to playing a instrument for 13 years.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

LeetMusic
Veteran
Completed: Cursed Lands, Roommates, Wildfire: Ticket To Rock, Seeds Of Chaos
Projects: LeetStreet Boys, Paladin Dream, Murder Is Game Over

Re: Is there any tuts on creating music?

#2 Post by LeetMusic »

Music is such a diverse field that it's hard to offer advice on this. Nobody has the same path. I think learning to play piano or guitar is a solid first step. Then you might want to try recording, working with MIDI or piano roll interface composing software based on your preferences. Then mixing is a different skill set. But as I said there is no one method that works for everyone. The best maxim I've ever come across is "If it sounds good, it is good."

Good luck!

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

#3 Post by Aviala »

I'm a complete noob on this field but if you have an iPad, maybe you could try the garageband app? It's not the best music-making sofware out there but at least it's super easy to understand and use. I don't understand much about music but I still managed to create an okay-sounding VN bg music track with garageband. Trial and error was the way I did it.

This probably wasn't helpful but at least I tried. Good luck!

kisa
Veteran
Completed: Brother Rose, Dogs Alone
Projects: So many projects, I can't name them.
Deviantart: tsubasafan135
itch: kisa

#4 Post by kisa »

Well... I can write my own method since others are suggesting things...
I've recently gotten my hands on an old copy of Musescore (But, before that. I only used the next two.) I just tap a few random notes and then adjust individual notes and listen to how it sounds along the way. Then, I toss it into garageband and convert it to a file audacity can read and from there I use audacity to turn it into an MP3.
But, my way is complicated due to hardware issues. If you just had Musescore you could save it as an Ogg.
I'm offering commissions!
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=41656

shiihs

#5 Post by shiihs »

Consider taking a look at http://soundation.com. You can register for a free account, and then drag and drop music blocks from libraries. (Or create your own melodies note by note). You can then also apply effects to your sounds. When you're done, you can share your creations online, or download the result as mp3 (or was it wav?) to your pc. I used it on a few occasions and it was a nice experience.