Music Questions: Terminology, Instruments, etc...

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

Music Questions: Terminology, Instruments, etc...

#1 Post by Lishy »

Hey all,

I've noticed a lot of project creators wanting to commission something specific from composers, but having a hard time figuring out how to properly communicate their ideas.

I'm hoping this thread will help people. Here you can feel free to ask questions about music, such as the terminology of a certain technique used, or name of an instrument. Hopefully others will pick up on the questions and answers we post here, and it should be able to benefit the music community as a whole.

You should also feel free to post guides, and I will add them to this post.

Format

In order to keep things simple and easy to search, I recommend those asking questions to put "Q:" at the beginning of their post. As for those answering questions, I do recommend quoting the answer in question, and adding "A:" at the beginning of the answer.

For example:
Q: How do I music?
A: One does not simply music. One must understand music as well.

As for myself, here's my question:

Q: What is the name of the instrument at 0:00 - 0:10 and the instrument at 1:01 in this song?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmPtnelAvpU
Saya no Uta - Sabbath

Someone told me the one at 1:01 is a Celesta, although I'm convinced it's a Xylophone. Perhaps someone could correct us please? Also, I don't know the name of the instrument at the beginning. Anyone know? Thanks!
-

MayPeX
Regular
Projects: The Treated, Casey
IRC Nick: MayPeX

Re: Music Questions: Terminology, Instruments, etc...

#2 Post by MayPeX »

Personally I'd like to say they are Synthesized instruments with a keyboard like sound/tone for both of your questions. Or it could well be a Celestra or Xlyophone with effects, but it sounds too digital to be a raw instrument. Probably sampled.

As for how to mimic that sound? Well there's a thousands ways to do it, most synthesizers will let you tweak/edit and even create new patches.

thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer
Projects: Memoria (on hiatus), Cafe Memoria Deux (cancelled)
Organization: PixaelSoft
itch: thebackup

#3 Post by thebackup »

Lishy wrote:Q: What is the name of the instrument at 0:00 - 0:10 and the instrument at 1:01 in this song?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmPtnelAvpU
Saya no Uta - Sabbath

Someone told me the one at 1:01 is a Celesta, although I'm convinced it's a Xylophone. Perhaps someone could correct us please? Also, I don't know the name of the instrument at the beginning. Anyone know? Thanks!
A:
0:00 - 0:10 - Pretty much what MayPeX said.
1:01 - Could be a marimba or a vibraphone as well.

And I have a question as well:

Q:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R556aPGs6iY
Working'!! OP-ED Single: Itsumo no you ni LOVE&PEACE!!

How would one generate that funky guitar sound in 0:23? A phaser effect? Thanks!

LeetMusic
Veteran
Completed: Cursed Lands, Roommates, Wildfire: Ticket To Rock, Seeds Of Chaos
Projects: LeetStreet Boys, Paladin Dream, Murder Is Game Over

#4 Post by LeetMusic »

Sounds like a synth patch to me.

MayPeX
Regular
Projects: The Treated, Casey
IRC Nick: MayPeX

#5 Post by MayPeX »

thebackup wrote:
Lishy wrote: And I have a question as well:
Q:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R556aPGs6iY
Working'!! OP-ED Single: Itsumo no you ni LOVE&PEACE!!

How would one generate that funky guitar sound in 0:23? A phaser effect? Thanks!
Well if there is a phaser it is very subtle, bearing in mind the electric guitar is doubling up what appears to be a Hammond organ.

The guitar itself would most likely have a gate to avoid artificial spill, very clean settings on the amp and sharp playing. It's like jazz in a popular genre. There is quite a bit of string bending going and scratching across the guitar.