Is it unacceptable to...

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
namastai
Projects: Currently undergoing.

Is it unacceptable to...

#1 Post by namastai »

Is it unacceptable to create background music with a chord progression that resembles a kpop song?
All the work is me 100 percent by ear. And I'd be willing to credit the song if I need to. There are no vocals or anything.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Is it unacceptable to...

#2 Post by fleet »

namastai wrote:Is it unacceptable to create background music with a chord progression that resembles a kpop song?
All the work is me 100 percent by ear. And I'd be willing to credit the song if I need to. There are no vocals or anything.
I am not a lawyer. For legal advice where you live, consult an attorney.
If an ordinary person who knew the kpop song heard your song, and recognized the chord progression as being the same as that song, then no, don't use it.
The kpop song is copyrighted, and using copyrighted music typically requires paying a royalty. Giving credit to the song does not make it okay; unless the composer agreed to let you use it for free.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

#3 Post by Tempus »

If it's just the chord progression I say go for it, but with a caveat: don't mimic nuances unique to the progression -- the way one chord leads into another with anticipatory notes, the rhythm and timing of each chord, etc. You can't get in trouble for using a chord progression someone else has used, but if you begin copying specific elements (instrumentation, melody, etc.) as well that's when you'll run into trouble. Lots and lots of music shares chord progressions and in some genres it's what defines that genre's sound... so don't worry about using a progression someone else has used provided you're not lifting sections of music verbatim without acknowledging it's an arrangement.

Also, for clarity: when I say chord progression, I mean: i iv V (e.g., Am, Dm, E) -- with just that much info there's a ton of different ways that could be played and even just swapping out instrumentation would affect it too. A chord progression is not the same as a riff or rhythm part which is going to be much more identifiable and, in my opinion, less acceptable (if you're going to be passing it off as your own, anyway.) I don't mean to be condescending in explaining this since you may already know, I just don't want to be giving out dodgy advice :)
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

namastai

#4 Post by namastai »

I mean it sounds pretty similar except the tempo isn't the same and its a much lighter version (for background music obviously) it is the main melody but on repeat and progresses into something harder slowly then starts over. So the chord progression is the same and yes the melody is the same, including the transitioning notes and the way the bass is.

The original song is 'fantastic' by henry. If you guys want, I could show you the quick version I made (the one we are talking about.)
I just really liked the chord progression (and I feel I've heard it somewhere before) so I decided it'd be a cute background noise but then I realized the possible problem.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#5 Post by Taleweaver »

Relevant to this thread:
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#6 Post by trooper6 »

namastai wrote:I mean it sounds pretty similar except the tempo isn't the same and its a much lighter version (for background music obviously) it is the main melody but on repeat and progresses into something harder slowly then starts over. So the chord progression is the same and yes the melody is the same, including the transitioning notes and the way the bass is.
If you are copying the chords and melody and bass line? That is plagiarism and you can get into trouble.
Just the chord progression? You are okay. I mean "Twist and Shout" and "La Bamba" use the same chord progression but they don't use the same melody or bass line or rhythm...or anything. No one would confuse those songs. On the other hand, what you've described sounds like full on plagiarism. Citing the original song won't help you. You would have to get permission to use their song from the person who own the rights and they might ask for money...or deny permission.

I would be better to create an original song. It could still use the same chord progression, but it should not be the same in whole or in part.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

PurpleMind
Regular
Completed: I contributed to 22 visual novels so far!
Projects: Kosmos Connections, Black Heaven, The Inn Between, Sugar Service, Driftwood, The Glass Coffin, Heart Agency
Discord: Marek Domagała#1778

#7 Post by PurpleMind »

You can always state (in the title or somewhere else, maybe in credits) that this song is a cover version of the k-pop song. I don't think anyone can do much about it, although I'm not a professional in this matter. But it seems like an option worth considering.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by trooper6 »

PurpleMind wrote:You can always state (in the title or somewhere else, maybe in credits) that this song is a cover version of the k-pop song. I don't think anyone can do much about it, although I'm not a professional in this matter. But it seems like an option worth considering.
They could sue because the OP used their song without permission or paying a liscencing fee.

You can't just cover people's stuff without paying ASCAP (or whoever has the rights for that song).
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

PurpleMind
Regular
Completed: I contributed to 22 visual novels so far!
Projects: Kosmos Connections, Black Heaven, The Inn Between, Sugar Service, Driftwood, The Glass Coffin, Heart Agency
Discord: Marek Domagała#1778

#9 Post by PurpleMind »

trooper6 wrote:
PurpleMind wrote:You can always state (in the title or somewhere else, maybe in credits) that this song is a cover version of the k-pop song. I don't think anyone can do much about it, although I'm not a professional in this matter. But it seems like an option worth considering.
They could sue because the OP used their song without permission or paying a liscencing fee.

You can't just cover people's stuff without paying ASCAP (or whoever has the rights for that song).
Oh, alright. Thanks for clearing that out, sounds logical.

fullmontis
Regular
Deviantart: fullmontis
itch: fullmontis

#10 Post by fullmontis »

Plagarism is both a risky topic and a confusing one. Deciding if a song is plagiarism or not is a complex matter. There are song that have very similar melodies and chord progressions and yet aren't considered plagiarism.

To be honest I would avoid such risks. Unless it is very different from the original, which is not your case I suppose.

Yoshiii343
Tumblr: yoshiii343
Soundcloud: sredathebreda

#11 Post by Yoshiii343 »

A chord progression resembling a K-pop song? Not really a problem.
Melodies and structure similar to a specific K-pop song? Is a problem.

namastai

#12 Post by namastai »

I didn't mean call the song as my own. Like, in the credits, it'd be listed and named as a remix of the original song, giving credit. Is that allowed?

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by trooper6 »

namastai wrote:I didn't mean call the song as my own. Like, in the credits, it'd be listed and named as a remix of the original song, giving credit. Is that allowed?
It is allowed only if the rights holder of the song has given you permission to do so. This will usually involve you giving them money. And they might say no.

You cannot use other people's intellectual property without permission. Even if you list them in the credits.
There are a few exceptions to this rule involving fair use or public domain or creative commons...but that doesn't seem to be what you are describing.

So if you want to use someone's stuff that is in copyright, you need permission.
A Close Shave: