Some Advice for a Total Amateur?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
Lucy1212
Regular
Completed: None, yet
Projects: The Roses are Covered in Blood, Her Dolls, Where the Wind Travels

Some Advice for a Total Amateur?

#1 Post by Lucy1212 »

I've been using Music Maker Jam to create music for the VN I'm working on. I'm not sure if it's any good or not. Some advice and critique?
Attachments
Music.zip
(11.87 MiB) Downloaded 132 times
I'm a wordsmith baby~

TheOnlyKieran
Regular
Organization: NewWestGames
IRC Nick: TheOnlyKieran

Re: Some Advice for a Total Amateur?

#2 Post by TheOnlyKieran »

I like it! A good start. But you may want to upgrade your software or hardware portfolio.

If you have an iOS device, tenori on and Figure work well.

If your budget is a bit larger, you can't go wrong with a Korg micron synth for $40-50

Ultimately I find by combining many different elements, you get the best sound and influence for songs. Good luck!

Brother O'Fart

#3 Post by Brother O'Fart »

I know that I probably am raising the dead from their graves with this, but I wanted to say that I like your songs They are simple, optimistic and I simply like them. :)

How much time did you put in those? And do you have any experience with music?

PaperweightWorks
Projects: Unseeing Worlds (for NaNoRenO2015)
Organization: PaperweightWorks

#4 Post by PaperweightWorks »

Listened to the entire thing. I really liked it! There's something very charming about the songs. Are you going to loop the tracks? I think it would be nice to hear more variation. Good job though!

Shiny
Tumblr: shingshingshiny
Deviantart: AllNamesAreClaimed12

#5 Post by Shiny »

I really like those songs, they're pleasant to listen to and they all have a unique feeling to them. How long have you been making music for :)? It's cool that you're making your own music for your VN. My only criticism would be that some are a bit repetitive, it would be cool if the tunes you have built up to a different middle part or something? I'm not good with music terms so I don't know if that made sense, but yeah, overall they're good ^^

rmt_2011
Regular
Projects: Lacrimosa ~ Nightmare Terror, Deceptive Dreams
Deviantart: Pie-inator

#6 Post by rmt_2011 »

I like them. There is a nice simplicity to them, but I do agree that it is repetitive and perhaps needs some variation

Catlip Candy
Regular
Completed: Raven // Encanto
Projects: My Twisted Love Story (title susceptible to change)
Organization: Catlip Candy
Tumblr: catlipcandy
Deviantart: CatlipCandy
Soundcloud: Catlip Candy
itch: catlipcandy

#7 Post by Catlip Candy »

I'm a fan of Music Maker Jam. Although I found some advantage and disadvantage in using the software. The advantage is it's easy to create music even though you don't know how to play any musical instruments. Very user friendly, you can get use to it in short amount of time. It's a good software for creating background music, for VNs :wink:

The disadvantage is that you can't create music out of nothingness. You can only create music out of sound loops. That's why it's repetitive. But there's a solution for that. You can change the note on the Editor button. And with adding song parts, you can introduce new musical instruments to your songs, and so with that you'll have your variation with your songs. :)
All I ask from the readers is to give feedback on what they think I should improve more.
Even the harshest comments are welcomed and greatly appreciated, as long as it is your truthful opinion!
Please help me become a better visual novel creator!

~~~~~~ Catlip Candy ~~~~~~~