article on theme songs for games

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
LeetMusic
Veteran
Completed: Cursed Lands, Roommates, Wildfire: Ticket To Rock, Seeds Of Chaos
Projects: LeetStreet Boys, Paladin Dream, Murder Is Game Over

article on theme songs for games

#1 Post by LeetMusic »

I am planning to write an article on making vocal theme songs for games based on my experiences doing a lot of this. I've currently done 6 of these past projects which have been released, will have a new release for Xmas this year, and have worked on a total of 13 of these including current projects in my queue. The article would be a "how to" on this topic based on my experiences, and I would share some production materials with the public which ordinarily I would not share.

Since I've gotten numerous inquiries about this kind of work from Lemmasoft forum users, I definitely want to be able to field any questions about this topic in my writing. So... ask me anything! ;-) Thanks.

Crystaline Spade
Regular
Projects: Where the Wind Travels
Tumblr: crystaline-spade
Deviantart: CrystalineSpade

Re: article on theme songs for games

#2 Post by Crystaline Spade »

Hi. My first project is still under development but, I want it to have vocals. I've already found someone interested in doing the vocals purely on luck... But when I was still looking I didn't have a clue about finding vocals.
Is there any place you can recruit other then lemma?
What's the most you've had to pay for vocals?
The least?
Have you ever gotten anyone to do it for free?

Another problem I have is the more technical aspect. I've spent my life listening to many types of songs and music, I've learned how to play a piano and read sheet music but, I haven't really studied music... so I can't make my own music instead I need to hire or ask help from others.
But how would someone work with the vocals and put it with the music?
Is it hard?
And the lyrics seem like they'd be hard to write... Are they?
Which do you do first, write lyrics and then make the music or make the music and then write the lyrics?

Is this what you mean by questions? I'm sorry if I didn't ask the right ones or did it the wrong way. I would like to hear your answers though...

From Spade
Image an otome game.
Our-Sight(working title)

LeetMusic
Veteran

#3 Post by LeetMusic »

Thanks, I'm getting the article ready this week and I think I've addressed your questions. I don't like to post specifics about my rates in public because they vary based on the project circumstances. I always pay singers from the project budget, I never look for free work.

LeetMusic
Veteran

#4 Post by LeetMusic »

The article I wrote was published on Gamasutra here: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/MatthewM ... _songs.php

I will still be happy to field any additional questions in the forums here as well.