Critique please?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
Corvo
Regular
Deviantart: Corvocollorosso

Critique please?

#1 Post by Corvo »

I played the piano and saxophone for some years (with mediocre result) until the beginning of university. Basically I didn't touch an instrument for ten years so I decided to begin with a really simple piece to not get lost (then I used a non octave scale because I was carried away and... well... I'm simply stupid).
I made this https://db.tt/9oE8jTRq with LMMS, I still need to learn to use this piece of software. The lack of a staff is a problem, maybe I need to search for a different program.
The piece is boring but when I try to add something else I always end up with a worse result. I'm not even sure that it needs "something else", maybe it needs "something less", eh.
How to deal with situation like this? Waiting one or two weeks without working on it?

syncopika
Regular
Organization: Green Bear Music
Tumblr: animescience
Github: syncopika
Soundcloud: syncopika

Re: Critique please?

#2 Post by syncopika »

hey fellow LMMS user!

I'm not a pro, but I think you have a nice idea going on! I believe there is a good sense of direction. some ideas perhaps:

- maybe start off a bit softer, and gradually crescendo? I think it might be good to turn down the volume for the bass line part throughout the whole piece.

- to mix things up a bit, try using the LS Filter plugin, or Canyon Delay (it sounds like you were trying a delayed effect at ~:58 sec in?). Don't forget about DJ EQ to change the sound a bit if it sounds too tinny! There's still so much about the plugins I need to learn too.

-the percussion parts are great! I can really envision the cicadas, and also crickets. also, I think you have a good number of parts. nothing should be added, but nothing sounds like it needs to removed either.

-here's a fun trick too: copy the melody part (take note which measure you're copying from) and paste it where the bass line is in piano roll, so you can see both parts at the same time. check the chords, and if they don't seem to fit, you can change it easily and check again. sometimes if you have a bunch of separate parts playing at the same time it is really difficult to hear the harmonic errors.

-letting a piece sit for a while is a good thing. coming back to it again after not hearing it for a period of time can help you think of new ideas to add or to elucidate things that sound wrong.

cool work! keep on composing and have fun! :D

Anthony

#3 Post by Anthony »

Hi there! In my opinion, before doing any change, you should trying another instrument. For me, many of the instruments (I guess they are VSTs) have some sort of "detune" or kind of. When you mix different instrument with randoms detunes, it can sound worse. Try first to use "clearer" instruments to see if the harmony of the track is ok. And when you are done, look for the right sounds.
Sorry if I didn't help, if you need anything, just let me know ;)

Corvo
Regular
Deviantart: Corvocollorosso

#4 Post by Corvo »

syncopika wrote:hey fellow LMMS user!
here's a fun trick too: copy the melody part (take note which measure you're copying from) and paste it where the bass line is in piano roll, so you can see both parts at the same time. check the chords.
That's really an useful trick. Thank you for the ideas and the encouragement. ^^
Anthony wrote:Hi there! In my opinion, before doing any change, you should trying another instrument. For me, many of the instruments (I guess they are VSTs) have some sort of "detune" or kind of.
I started with the mantra "keep things simple, keep things simple" and immediately ignored it. :oops: Instead of using the familiar 12 equal temperament, I manually retuned the instruments for the alpha scale. The asinine idea was something like: "hey, this character is loosing his grip on reality, let's illustrate that using an exotic tuning".
From now on I will stick with the 12 equal temperament and relearn some theory.