When The Rain Falls: OST Critique

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

When The Rain Falls: OST Critique

#1 Post by Rinima »

Just opening this up so see what people think of the music for When the Rain Falls

Since music is a large part of the project, I want to pick people's minds on what comes to mind when the listen to the tracks within the game. For example:

Does the music fit the game?
What do you think if when you listen?
Where do you think the track will fit into the game?

We only have 4 tracks at the moment, but plan on a full 8 just for the demo.

Tracks so far:
Circular Little Bell
Afternoon Basking
First Rain
Second Rain
Third Rain

Trass is the one that is doing all the music for consistency and it well known for his work in Dreaming Mary (if you haven't played it, I suggest you do so, mostly if you're a horror fan).

What this thread is for:
For you to provide feed back on the various tracks and to (hopefully) answer the questions at the top of the thread!
If you feel you have some examples of what you think the track should sound a little like, feel free to post examples
Thanks for reading~
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Wide Mouth Ink
Regular
Completed: None for now
Projects: Endless Halls
Tumblr: WideMouthInk
Deviantart: WideMouthInk

Re: When The Rain Falls: OST Critique

#2 Post by Wide Mouth Ink »

Kay, here are my thoughts.

Circular Little Bell sounds like a nice main theme. Starts out slow and then gets uplifting as it goes. The main melody/starting instrument can be bit repetitive since it keep repeating the same notes for the whole track, that's mostly my opinion. Can't say much else apart from that.

Afternoon Basking...actually sounds a bit too dramatic and somber, given the name. It's mellow, but it has this sense of drama in its tone. Not sure if that's what the composer wanted for that particular track, but I can't see this playing in a relaxing setting or situation. So if there's some bit of drama in the game or scenes about sad memories and what not, this would probably fit in perfectly.

First Rain sounds soothing.

Second Rain sounds fun and energetic.

Third Rain is basically a tenser version the first.

The tracks sound nice and mellow enough to fit in a casual setting, so it should be fine for the game.