Using Songs That I've No Right To

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
MrDent
Projects: A Single Magnificent Ember
Organization: Brillig

Using Songs That I've No Right To

#1 Post by MrDent »

Alright, this is going to be kind of blunt and kind of, probably, a frowned upon idea, but... I'm currently making a Visual Novel, and though it's still fairly early in development, one of the things that I wanted to do with it was use an entirely Trip-Hop soundtrack. Now, my game will be completely non-commercial and free in every way, and I kind of wanted... ...to use music I don't own. Like, music from some of my favorite bands. Now, I could use royalty-free music too, just as easily, so it really doesn't matter too much if I don't, but I wanted to know how other people feel about this matter. So, is using music that doesn't belong to me a cardinal sin, or is it passable?

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Using Songs That I've No Right To

#2 Post by trooper6 »

I am not passing moral judgement.

But I will tell you, it is illegal. And you could get sued, fined, and given a cease and desist from your band's record company.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

MrDent

#3 Post by MrDent »

trooper6 wrote:I am not passing moral judgement.

But I will tell you, it is illegal. And you could get sued, fined, and given a cease and desist from your band's record company.
Yes, I thought about that, and even considered making two different versions of the game with different soundtracks(One to distribute to anyone online, and one to give to pals at cons)... I was wondering if this sort of thing was a common problem, as I feel like it would be. The reason I wanted to use music that didn't be belong to me was for atmospheric effect, so they're not really essential. I may as well not. Thanks for the input.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#4 Post by SundownKid »

No one's going to stop you from giving a game with whatever music you want to your buddies, but I'd suggest using the royalty free tracks if you release it to the general public. If your game hits it big, then someone might notice and slap you with a cease and desist.

MrDent

#5 Post by MrDent »

SundownKid wrote:No one's going to stop you from giving a game with whatever music you want to your buddies, but I'd suggest using the royalty free tracks if you release it to the general public. If your game hits it big, then someone might notice and slap you with a cease and desist.
Alright, so my two version idea would work? I think that's what I'll end up doing: Make a version with royalty free music online, and the version I give to friends will contain the original music. Now I'm trying to think if giving the original music version to friends at cons would be a good idea or not...

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by trooper6 »

I wouldn't do friends at cons...that gets really close to distribution.
I also wouldn't give the pirated music version to anyone you don't trust not to redistribute the game.
The RIAA are a bunch of petty, vindictive folks and they will come after you if they get wind of what you are doing.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

MrDent

#7 Post by MrDent »

trooper6 wrote:I wouldn't do friends at cons...that gets really close to distribution.
I also wouldn't give the pirated music version to anyone you don't trust not to redistribute the game.
The RIAA are a bunch of petty, vindictive folks and they will come after you if they get wind of what you are doing.
Alright, I'll just make one version- It's simpler that way, anyway. Thanks for all the advice!

Lyedka
Completed: Blackjack Deluxe
Projects: Ai Aisuru, Puri-Puri, BlGame(still unnamed), D.A.
Organization: Puzzle Deluxe
Deviantart: Liedka

#8 Post by Lyedka »

Sorry to get into the conversation but ...
What if advertising music? if you put the name of the band, the album and a "Buy it if you liked the song" it would still be wrong and could expose artists?
was that doubt me when I read all.

PD: sorry for my bad english ._____.

LeetMusic
Veteran
Completed: Cursed Lands, Roommates, Wildfire: Ticket To Rock, Seeds Of Chaos
Projects: LeetStreet Boys, Paladin Dream, Murder Is Game Over

#9 Post by LeetMusic »

Lyedka wrote:Sorry to get into the conversation but ...
What if advertising music? if you put the name of the band, the album and a "Buy it if you liked the song" it would still be wrong and could expose artists?

Nope, not legal (in America) or morally acceptable. How would you feel if someone stole your game writing and put it in their own project and credited you but did not compensate you for it? Music has cost to make and "exposure" does not pay bills.

Lyedka
Completed: Blackjack Deluxe
Projects: Ai Aisuru, Puri-Puri, BlGame(still unnamed), D.A.
Organization: Puzzle Deluxe
Deviantart: Liedka

#10 Post by Lyedka »

LeetMusic wrote:

Nope, not legal (in America) or morally acceptable. How would you feel if someone stole your game writing and put it in their own project and credited you but did not compensate you for it? Music has cost to make and "exposure" does not pay bills.
wow! I thought that if advertises a song for the purchase without gaining anything in return, it could be less bad. :P (ok, no. is very bad XD)

at least in my country that does not sound too bad, it's like hang a "Buy it Now" at home without being the product owner. hahahaha~

On the other hand, if it feels being robbed. used a song that had created for commercial use D: D: D:

PD: I am not in favor of using songs with copyright. Let's be clear!

Bye o(^^o)

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#11 Post by fleet »

LeetMusic wrote:

It's also illegal in other countries.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

BlueWolfie

#12 Post by BlueWolfie »

It takes a lot of time and effort to produce an entirely original song (let alone a full length soundtrack) to an acceptable level of quality.

Hence unless the musician who you "borrow" tracks from is a philanthropist, you will need to directly contact the original musician and acquire/purchase the appropriate license (or permission) to use the song in your game or project.

This can be done either via music libraries, royalty free music sites or the relevant Performing Rights Organisations (PROs) in your country.

Starshine
Veteran
Completed: http://berry-melon.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... -2016.html
Projects: Pancake Surprise (2016)
Tumblr: http://bettybooplover.tumblr.com
Deviantart: berry-melon
Soundcloud: sweepea-1

#13 Post by Starshine »

If it's non-commercial nothing will happen but if it's commercial and you are getting money for the game you have created you are most likely to get sued. It's better to keep it a secret if your game uses a song you have no right to. I mostly use public-domain songs... as they have no copyright.

https://archive.org/index.php
http://berry-melon.blogspot.com
I'm not resting until I find
What would make your eyes
Glisten like mine
With loves divine!

Boo-Boo I couldn't aspire....to anything...
Higher...than to fill that one desire to make it
My own....Bop-Bop-a-Dop-Boop-Oop-a-Doop honey?

PN04
Regular

#14 Post by PN04 »

If you knew of a local/unsigned performer that produced songs of the type you wanted then you might be able to contact them and come to some sort of cross-promotional deal, but yeah if it's just an artist that you have no access to you'll hear from their lawyers before you hear from anyone.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by trooper6 »

Starshine wrote:If it's non-commercial nothing will happen but if it's commercial and you are getting money for the game you have created you are most likely to get sued. It's better to keep it a secret if your game uses a song you have no right to. I mostly use public-domain songs... as they have no copyright.

https://archive.org/index.php
That isn't true. There are lots of rights holders who will vigorously defend their copyright even against non-commercial ventures. Start doing a bunch of non-commercial games with Disney's stuff, for example, they will come for you if they find out about it.
A Close Shave: