Opening Animation Sequences

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
Barzini
Regular
Projects: Seat of Power, Our Final Moments, A More Beautiful World, Forgotten, Not Lost
Organization: Afterthought Studios
Tumblr: letsafterthoughtstudios

Opening Animation Sequences

#1 Post by Barzini »

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions regarding the above-mentioned topic - What do I mean with Opening Animation Sequences, I refer to things like this - Cr: Moenovel's If My Heart Had Wings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qiQbOUfdS0

I highly suspect an element of After Effects is used, or is my gut feeling wrong and this is done by hand, frame by frame (with reference to things like Kotori's hair drifting?

How about this scene from Katawa Shoujo's Emi?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk0IbvPW4rs

How are all these animation done? It would be great if someone could enlighten me!

Thank you!
Founder of Afterthought Studios

Working on:
A More Beautiful World
Forgotten, Not Lost
Our Final Moments
Seat of Power

Laniessa
Veteran
Completed: CDC, Cerulean, WBW, Helena's Flowers
Projects: Chomp Chomp, WaV
Tumblr: adirosa
Deviantart: adirosa

Re: Opening Animation Sequences

#2 Post by Laniessa »

Not sure about the first one for Kaori, but it looks like a mix of 3D for the legs, and frame by frame for the hair. The colours is probably altered to be more appealing with aftereffects.

Emi’s cutscene is by Mikeinel - he has a deviantart and tumblr. He animates frame by frame on photoshop and then edits his videos on aftereffects, I think. He has a youtube channel with process videos.

(He uses 3D sometimes to help with animation, but it should all be frame by frame.)

Barzini
Regular
Projects: Seat of Power, Our Final Moments, A More Beautiful World, Forgotten, Not Lost
Organization: Afterthought Studios
Tumblr: letsafterthoughtstudios

Re: Opening Animation Sequences

#3 Post by Barzini »

Laniessa wrote:Not sure about the first one for Kaori, but it looks like a mix of 3D for the legs, and frame by frame for the hair. The colours is probably altered to be more appealing with aftereffects.

Emi’s cutscene is by Mikeinel - he has a deviantart and tumblr. He animates frame by frame on photoshop and then edits his videos on aftereffects, I think. He has a youtube channel with process videos.

(He uses 3D sometimes to help with animation, but it should all be frame by frame.)
Thank you so much for your valuable input! :D
Founder of Afterthought Studios

Working on:
A More Beautiful World
Forgotten, Not Lost
Our Final Moments
Seat of Power