Tips for an aspiring voice actor

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
Meyismyname
Projects: Unplanned Amour, Last Stanza

Tips for an aspiring voice actor

#1 Post by Meyismyname »

I'm not sure this is the right forum to post this in, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips for an aspiring voice actor. I don't have any training, but people tell me I'd be a good voice actor. How should I get started, and what type of microphone would you recommend?

Thanks for any advice!

CrunchyShadow
Regular
Projects: Seinaru Ai

Re: Tips for an aspiring voice actor

#2 Post by CrunchyShadow »

Last edited by CrunchyShadow on Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Somehow I feel that no one cares about signatures~

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#3 Post by sake-bento »

In what capacity are you thinking about voice acting? Are you thinking more about the scope of this site, like volunteering for visual novel voice acting, or do you mean like going full time pro?

For pro work (or just generally good advice), I'd suggest visiting http://iwanttobeavoiceactor.com/. It's a great resource with semi-frequent updates, and a lot of really helpful things to read.

If you're more interested in it at a hobby level, or doing indie visual novels, playing visual novels and reading along out loud is a really great place to start. Even better, read all the characters. You don't have to use different voices, but at least give them different attitudes and quirks. Record yourself and listen to the playback. You don't need an expensive mic for that - it's mostly to get an idea of how you sound and how your acting sounds. You can also record yourself reading books or manga aloud.

Also, check out the voice actor section of the Recruitment forum to see what sort of stuff other people are doing.

For a mic, it really depends on your budget, but for people who want to do online voice acting, I most often see the snowball or the yeti.

Meyismyname
Projects: Unplanned Amour, Last Stanza

#4 Post by Meyismyname »

sake-bento wrote:In what capacity are you thinking about voice acting? Are you thinking more about the scope of this site, like volunteering for visual novel voice acting, or do you mean like going full time pro?

For pro work (or just generally good advice), I'd suggest visiting http://iwanttobeavoiceactor.com/. It's a great resource with semi-frequent updates, and a lot of really helpful things to read.

If you're more interested in it at a hobby level, or doing indie visual novels, playing visual novels and reading along out loud is a really great place to start. Even better, read all the characters. You don't have to use different voices, but at least give them different attitudes and quirks. Record yourself and listen to the playback. You don't need an expensive mic for that - it's mostly to get an idea of how you sound and how your acting sounds. You can also record yourself reading books or manga aloud.

Also, check out the voice actor section of the Recruitment forum to see what sort of stuff other people are doing.

For a mic, it really depends on your budget, but for people who want to do online voice acting, I most often see the snowball or the yeti.
Thanks for all the tips! I will definitely follow your advice at least at the hobby level for now.

WoefulWriters
Projects: Dance with devil,the heart's obsession
Tumblr: woefulwriters
Deviantart: woefulwriters
Soundcloud: woefulwriters

#5 Post by WoefulWriters »

I have a yeti mic, it has awesome sound quality for a good price.
It is a good mic for a beginner. For roles, you should check out castingcall.club