Covering classical pieces

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
Labradorain
Projects: Rain Flavour, On the ivory key
Soundcloud: Labradorain

Covering classical pieces

#1 Post by Labradorain »

Hello.
I'm quite new to music making and haven't experience much in the work; on the other hand, I've played a number of visual novels, one of which is a free otome of a company and has two pieces of J.S. Bach covered as background music; therefore, currently I am wondering: Is it possible (and maybe legal in some way) to do the same for our games? I think the matter is different between a visual novel company and an individual, but this question can't be thrown out of my mind. In addition, I have an idea of having a scene when the character cover a piece of classical music in my visual novel. I also took a look of two topics of which questions are quite similar to this one, but was still unsure and confused... so the thought of making a topic about this greatly persuaded me.
Thank you for reading.

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

Re: Covering classical pieces

#2 Post by Tempus »

If something is in the public domain it's okay to use it. However, a recording of a public domain composition isn't necessarily public domain itself. AFAIK anyway.
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#3 Post by fleet »

I am not a lawyer. For legal advice consult an attorney where you live (copyright laws vary by country).

If you play an instrument, you may use your own recording of a J.S. Bach composition in your visual novel. If you have a friend who plays an instrument, and he/she makes a recording of a J.S. Bach composition and agrees to let you use it, you can use it in your visual novel.

A professional musician's recording of J.S. composition is probably covered by copyright law. I recommend not using it.

http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/ has classical music that you can use in your visual novel without paying royalties, you must give credit per the site's licensing agreement.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Corvo
Regular
Deviantart: Corvocollorosso

#4 Post by Corvo »

Talking about Bach, there's a good and public domain rendition (on piano) of the Goldberg variations:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Goldberg_Variations
I think that there is a similar project for the well tempered clavier.

Labradorain
Projects: Rain Flavour, On the ivory key
Soundcloud: Labradorain

#5 Post by Labradorain »

Hello guys, thank you very much for your time and replies!

To:
If something is in the public domain it's okay to use it. However, a recording of a public domain composition isn't necessarily public domain itself. AFAIK anyway.
And:
I am not a lawyer. For legal advice consult an attorney where you live (copyright laws vary by country).

If you play an instrument, you may use your own recording of a J.S. Bach composition in your visual novel. If you have a friend who plays an instrument, and he/she makes a recording of a J.S. Bach composition and agrees to let you use it, you can use it in your visual novel.

A professional musician's recording of J.S. composition is probably covered by copyright law. I recommend not using it.
I see. My intention was to do a recording of a piece for my visual novel, but I wasn't sure if that's legal or not. But now, thanks to your answers, I'm feeling very promissory and confident. :D

To:
http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/ has classical music that you can use in your visual novel without paying royalties, you must give credit per the site's licensing agreement.
And:
Talking about Bach, there's a good and public domain rendition (on piano) of the Goldberg variations:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Goldberg_Variations
I think that there is a similar project for the well tempered clavier.
I didn't know there is such great resources until now! Thank you for the information, I have just added both sites to my bookmarks.

Fluffyrobotdog
Soundcloud: fluffyrobotdog

#6 Post by Fluffyrobotdog »

A quick way to decide whether or not you should use something.

works create before 1/1/1923 are protected for 75 years; therefore, all things created before 1923 are public domain.

Anything registered before 1/1/1978 is secured for 95 years, and anything created after 1/1/1978 is for the life of the longest surviving author plus 70 years.

So, if you can find a classical recording made before 1/1/1923 you can use it with no problems.

However for a piece that is still under copyright you will need to obtain a Synchronization License(from the music copyright owner), Dubbing Rights(from the recording company) and Artistic Permission(from any performers)

For this, I would suggest a lawyer.

Otherwise, creating the recording yourself and using a performer you know would simplify the process, because that would only require a Synchronization License(which is expired for Mr. J. S. Bach)

I hope that makes everything clear.

Good luck!

I will cite my video production Professor Keith Jones on that as well heh.