Any tips for creating good song intros?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
wendybirdx
Regular

Any tips for creating good song intros?

#1 Post by wendybirdx »

So I was messing around with music production (with VSTs) for the first time and I noticed I made the n00b mistake of introducing the song with a simple, repetitive build on kind of thing. Like one instrument comes in for four beats, then another, then another, and it's very, uh...dead. It feels like I'm at a rehearsal for high school band all over again when we couldn't manage to start off all together and tried layering it slowly for practice, not listening to an actual song.

I know there's a lot to creating a good intro. and a lot of possibilities, but if anyone has any good reading I could do or just random tips that could be useful, I'd be super thankful!

xPerfectSuicide
Regular
Completed: InuYame, My little Interview can't be this boring, In the middle of U days
Organization: Luis Design'S

Re: Any tips for creating good song intros?

#2 Post by xPerfectSuicide »

I do not know much about music production, but I think in any branch of art, examples, trying to master various styles will help you reach your own.

This helped me a lot with my video editing, maybe you see Openings and several intro songs you can get a good resolution of your work

Noyemi K
Regular
Completed: Pimiko Plus
Projects: Pairs, Monochrome Blues
Organization: Delmunsoft
Deviantart: NoyemiK
Github: NoyemiK
Soundcloud: mishkahd

#3 Post by Noyemi K »

Usually I have a dedicated "Intro" portion of the song which uses a few of the instruments and plays a special version of the song's chorus theme. I have that intro, then a break, then a chorus, then another break, then the chorus again which continues till it fades out.

But you should try a number of different things and see what fits best for you.
Music composer for:
Innate Imperfections [NaNoRenO 2015] | Blind Griffin [NaNoRenO 2015] | Locked Souls

Please consider hiring me to work on your game.

wayward
Regular

#4 Post by wayward »

wendybirdx wrote:a simple, repetitive build on kind of thing. Like one instrument comes in for four beats, then another, then another,
Not sure what the official term for this is, but I while back I wound up thinking of em as instrumental crescendos. If you want to do this I highly recommend it because my favorite songs are instrumental crescendos. for example check out the second half (4:38) of sigur ros - festival

They can be very powerful.

As for advice, sadly I don't think there's anything I can say that beats listening to it, and reworking it and reworking it over and over, but I suggest asking yourself what you want people to feel when they watch it. If your game is a pretty calm slice of life type game, I tend to think of a slow piano tempo. If its an action game I tend to think of trumpets and those huge timpani drums. Whatever you choose to do

because you might think you fail one day, and take a listen to it another day and realize that its not so bad, then you work on it some more and you make something you can be proud of.

good luck.

keisunagi

#5 Post by keisunagi »

Hey!

I'm not exactly what you might call experienced, but I can tell you about my approach.

When I first started composing music, I studied other people's intros, and then I copied their structures. As time went on, I was able to mix those structures into original compositions and create original intros that sounded decent.

What I suggest you do is find a few free hours in the weekend and grab a couple of your favorite music intros. Take notes on exactly what instruments come in at what time, what rhythm, and what chords are being used. Then, try to re-make your own version, using the same instruments and the same rhythm. Repeat a few times on different intros, and then try creating your own. I did this for a few days before I was able to come up with my own intros.

Listen to lots of different intros. When you write your own, the mishmash of notes in your head start to form into an intro that sounds great.

Also, heads up. The intros that you listen to and the ones you recreate (probably using midi) will not sound the same. That is because the tracks you are listening to are probably professionally mixed and mastered. At a certain point, you will definitely need to learn how to do this. But that's for later.

Good luck!
-Kei
I'm Kei! Because I like Key but Key was taken XD

J-Ray
Regular

#6 Post by J-Ray »

Non-technical suggestion:
- your intro song have to be connected with the game story - same mode and genre will be a best choice.
- try to avoid cliche, "sounds like..." That way your intro song will be original and fresh
- try to create catchy melody to keep player's attention (according to the genre, of course)

Technical suggestion
- do not use many instruments - you may end up with a music mess
- not all VST sounds good, but you can find some very good (and free) VST here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/newest
- proof-listen to your song on different devices before you publish it to be sure it sounds good

Best