Question for Voice Actors/Actresses

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
Kikaharu
Regular

Question for Voice Actors/Actresses

#1 Post by Kikaharu »

Do you think there are many voice actors/actresses that are willing to learn a new language for a game? A new language meaning a made up one but there is pronunciation of the new words or where there is a word sample to show these letter sound like these letters in a word. Sample like flute, the fl sounds like the fl in the word fly not like the fl in the word floor. <-- Like that as an example but instead of a real word its a new word and has examples to real words in the world already.

They would have a way to know how it's pronounced but would they be discouraged to voice act the new language? Or would you think many would be interested in trying a new thing to see how well they would be able to take their voice acting? Any thoughts on this at all is fine. I'm just curious.

Dylan_Bain
Regular
Organization: Dylan Bain Games

Re: Question for Voice Actors/Actresses

#2 Post by Dylan_Bain »

Well I am scottish, but i would be happy to do japanese because i am learning that language. Although, i wouldn't be as accurate as a japanese person. So i suppose the answer to your question is yes?
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 52#p365552 Curently NOT Accepting Commisions!

Kikaharu
Regular

#3 Post by Kikaharu »

Dylan_Bain wrote:Well I am scottish, but i would be happy to do japanese because i am learning that language. Although, i wouldn't be as accurate as a japanese person. So i suppose the answer to your question is yes?
Not exactly what I meant. I mean a new language as a made up language like it not a real language in the world. I understand someone doing a language that they are actually trying to learn but this is a language that probably wouldn't be used in the real world. Unless somehow the language I'm making people like so much and want it an actual language which I don't think will happen.

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#4 Post by Godline »

Depends what you mean by "learn".

I'd be willing to read it off the script and understand the pronunciations for the language but I'm not willing to memorize words of a made up language. ;)

(I'm not a voice actress, but I've dabbled).

Kikaharu
Regular

#5 Post by Kikaharu »

Godline wrote:Depends what you mean by "learn".

I'd be willing to read it off the script and understand the pronunciations for the language but I'm not willing to memorize words of a made up language. ;)

(I'm not a voice actress, but I've dabbled).
Yeah that's what I meant. I know most wouldn't actually learn it by memorizing but it might take a bit getting use to the pronunciations of it. And that's why it might take a bit to be able to say the word the way its suppose to be pronounced. So that's kinda what I meant for learning it. But just curious about it, there wouldn't be a thing for awhile. It would have to get far first before I could even consider voice actors or actresses. I just wanted to know if there are some that are like willing to do that or if it's not as worth it.

AdamsAccount
Regular
Projects: ORISHA, Mermaids vs zombies, Lesbian pirate dating sim

#6 Post by AdamsAccount »

I would be, but if only it was something I could pronounce, for example I'm learning Japanese, and would be willing to learn another Asian language for a game, but something like french or Spanish I wouldn't because it's hard for me to pronounce.

Lady-in-Ontario

#7 Post by Lady-in-Ontario »

Personally, I'd love to speak a made-up language, I think it'd be really cool. (I joined Lemmasoft specifically for VA'ing) Depending on how extensive the script is, you might be better off recording yourself speaking the pronunciation both slowly and at a regular speed so your actors could get a concrete idea of how to pronounce it, how quickly to say it, where stresses fell and so on.

Additionally/alternatively, writing the script phonetically can help (unless there are sounds that don't exist in the English language, which you could mark with an * - those you would have to record a pronunciation of).

As far as I know, both Antonio Banderas and Celine Dion were performing in English before they spoke it, so it's definitely doable.

Kikaharu
Regular

#8 Post by Kikaharu »

Lady-in-Ontario wrote:Personally, I'd love to speak a made-up language, I think it'd be really cool. (I joined Lemmasoft specifically for VA'ing) Depending on how extensive the script is, you might be better off recording yourself speaking the pronunciation both slowly and at a regular speed so your actors could get a concrete idea of how to pronounce it, how quickly to say it, where stresses fell and so on.

Additionally/alternatively, writing the script phonetically can help (unless there are sounds that don't exist in the English language, which you could mark with an * - those you would have to record a pronunciation of).

As far as I know, both Antonio Banderas and Celine Dion were performing in English before they spoke it, so it's definitely doable.
Recording it for the pronunciation is actually a great idea. ^^ but I would still have to add the writing way to say it just to help also. But yeah I was just curious if there really are people who would be interested in speaking a made-up language or if it's like a downsided idea. It's great to know there are some who think it would be cool to.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#9 Post by trooper6 »

I'd do it as long as I had a translation of the made up language into english so I could do a proper acting job and get the emotions right. Pronunciation tape is also a good thing.

I mean, considering how popular conlangs are in some circles and how excited people are about Dothraki, Klingon, the different constructed languages for Defiance...even how much people like the goofy gibberish of Simlish...I can't imagine it would be too hard to find voice actors to do it.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978