Chrysanthemum Tea [Slice-of-life][NaNo2015][Complete!]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
dreamy
Regular
Organization: Cloud9 Dreams
Tumblr: fey-en

Chrysanthemum Tea [Slice-of-life][NaNo2015][Complete!]

#1 Post by dreamy »

Synopsis:
Theo lives a rather average life at college. He might be spending late hours at a bar trying to painstakingly save up money to pay off his college fees and bills and spends the rest of his time at home studying to at least pass his class, which is pretty normal. He also might have cut off all contact with his parents but hey, who doesn't have problems?

That's how Theo's life has always been ever since he started college. He's been satisfied with how he is even though his attitude and his way of handling problems earn a few disapproving looks from his best friend. However, Theo might start to reconsider that when he meets a strange, young girl at a dusty fortune shop...

Characters:
(From left to right)
Theo: The protagonist of this story. He's usually a practical young man who tries to come up with excuses to avoid breaking his routine of either studying or working. He often comes across as glum and moody and gets accused of overthinking a simple matter.

Chrys: She's a young girl that Theo met at a strange fortune shop. Her childish and playful nature contrasts with Theo's serious nature although she shows sudden bouts of wisdom. Her smile and easygoing attitude can easily put a smile to somebody's face, even though it takes a little effort to work on Theo. However, there is more to her than what meets the eye as Chrys could be hiding something about the mysterious fortune shop...

Karina (Rina): Rina is Theo's best friend ever since he started going to college. She might be a little snarky person and arrogant to most other people but Theo is used to her attitude and still talks to her on a regular basis. Rina also cares about Theo and tries her best to help him out whenever possible. If you have a friendly conversation with Rina, she will do the same to you. If you delve to deep into her past however, you might get something completely different...

Progress [Updated 29/3]:
Sprites done
CGs done
Writing complete (there will be a total of 3 endings)
Backgrounds and music selected/done
Ack! The only thing left on my end is PROGRAMMING!!!! (The devil of everything)

Writing, GUI and coding: dreamy
Sprites and CGs: BRBeeps
Backgrounds: Uncle Mugen, Maospace, BRBeeps
Music: G-Sound, HamaSada
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, this is my first visual novel that's close to completion. It's a little experiment for me with a simple story in a genre that's completely alien for me but I'm trying my best. :D
Last edited by dreamy on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Listen to the silence, it's so blissful...
So calm down and listen..."

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

Re: Chrysanthemum Tea [Slice-of-life][NaNo2015]

#2 Post by Harliqueen »

I am loving the sound of Rina' s character from that description! :D

Sounds like things will get interesting for Theo, things always should get interesting after meetings at fortune shops!

Good luck with NaNo :)
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

dreamy
Regular

#3 Post by dreamy »

Thank you Harliqueen! I hope things will turn out well for this project. I wish you the best of luck for your NaNoRenO project too :)

As for a quick update, writing is nearly complete and we're seeing how many CGs we can cram before this month ends. I've also updated the main post with the logo. I'll update on the GUI pretty soon.

dreamy
Regular

#4 Post by dreamy »

Back with an update! Although I said I'd update with the gui, I'm still in the middle of coding so it may take a while. For now, I'll probably update with screenshots once per day before the deadline (OMG only five more days) so that it can motivate me to hurry up with the programming, heh.
Now for a screenshot

dreamy
Regular

#5 Post by dreamy »

Okay, two more days left and I still have a bunch of things to do. Although I've spent two hours tinkering with the gui programming, I've finally gotten it done.
Progress:
CGs done
Programming 50% complete
Script completed (will update word count shortly)
Here's a couple of screenshots to make up for the lack of updates:

{EDIT}: Hm...because I feel unusually happy today, here's another screenshot of the main menu:
ctscreenshot4.PNG

BRBeeps
Projects: Chrysanthemum Tea, Project E.A.R.T.H, Avitus
Organization: Last Word, Watercress Studios, Independant
Tumblr: segibson-art
Deviantart: buggie-running-beeps

#6 Post by BRBeeps »

Oh wow! The game's looking great, Dreamy! It's my first time seeing it all put together (I've been so busy that I've barely even been on the forums ^^;)
I can't wait to play the finished product =3

dreamy
Regular

#7 Post by dreamy »

Hehe, it's done:
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=31415
Let me know what you think!