White Lie [GxB/GxG/Friendship][Slice of Life][NaNoRenO 2015]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Shaples
Regular
Completed: Christmas Sweaters
Projects: White Lie, Tropichu!

White Lie [GxB/GxG/Friendship][Slice of Life][NaNoRenO 2015]

#1 Post by Shaples »

The Story
Chloe is fresh out of college, neck deep in student debt, and recently unemployed. She’s desperate for work – any work – which is why she winds up taking the waitress job her best friend just quit, despite repeated warnings about the boss. Unfortunately, her friend wasn't exaggerating: Julian is a loud-mouthed womanizer that starts pestering Chloe for a date from the moment they meet. The white lie comes easy: Sorry, I have a boyfriend. Maintaining the charade is a little harder.

Julian's continued pestering drives Chloe to find an online “matchmaking” service that sets her up with an imaginary boyfriend. This mystery man will answer her texts, leave voicemails… and provide ironclad proof of their "relationship" that even Julian's persistent nosiness can't crack. But after a few days of spinning the story, Chloe starts to wonder: who’s the person on the other end of the line?
The Characters
ImageImageImageImage
Chloe: You had a great five-year plan, but it all went to hell when the bar you’d been working at for years went under a week before you finished your degree in restaurant management. Now your plan to take the place over is in shambles, and your dream of opening a restaurant with your best friend is on hold indefinitely. You aren’t letting it get you down, though – this café job might be a blessing in disguise, and delayed and derailed doesn’t mean your plans are done for.

Olivia: Your best friend and college roommate, Olivia has finally escaped the dregs of the food service industry and landed a job in the corporate world – and one that uses her marketing degree at that. It’s not the partnership you were both planning on, but it’s a great opportunity, and she wears “young professional” well. You’re a little worried the transition isn’t going as smoothly as it seems, though. Olivia tries to hide it, but you can see the cracks in her normal confidence and cheer, and she’s more tired than you’ve ever seen her.

Julian: Julian is a stellar pastry chef and a savvy restaurateur. Under any other circumstances, working for him would be a dream come true. Unfortunately, his business smarts don’t extend to social niceties, and his ceaseless flirtation isn’t nearly as charming or funny as he thinks it is. The kind of guy who’s skated by on his good looks for most of his life, Julian doesn’t even seem to notice that his staff – aka the captive audience to his one-man comedy show – isn’t laughing.

Hyun: A regular to beat all regulars, Hyun is at the same table in your café all day, every day, hidden behind a laptop and a big pair of headphones. He doesn’t talk much, but orders something to eat or drink every hour on the hour, and always tips well when you close out his check. Once, on a slow day, you caught him humming a pretty tune. He stopped as soon as he realized you were there, but now you can’t help but wonder what he’s listening to.

???: You picked his name and appearance; you made up the story of how you met, and fabricated the excuse for why he’s never around to meet your friends or family. But is it just your imagination, or are his messages starting to sound less like stock lines and more like honest responses?
Customize Your "Boyfriend"
You get to choose a name and avatar for your fake boyfriend.
Both will appear throughout the game, including on the contacts list on Chloe's phone.
In Game Phone
Use your phone to keep in touch with your friends, frenemies, and fictitious boyfriend.
Team
Art/Programming: konett
Writing: Shaples
Progress
Writing: Outlined + Draft Started
Art: Sketched
GUI: Rough Mockups
Programming: TBA
Music: TBA
Thanks for reading! Good luck everyone!
Last edited by Shaples on Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

Re: White Lie [GxB/GxG/Friendship][Slice of Life][NaNoReNo 2

#2 Post by Hazel-Bun »

AHHH so excited for this one ❤️ Also, Olivia is a great name to name a character ohoho Good luck!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

sorani
Veteran

#3 Post by sorani »

This looks stunning! *v* the phone aspect is pretty cool and making a fake boyfriends sounds even cooler XD

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#4 Post by Camille »

I remember reading about this fake boyfriend premise a while back but to think it'd be the basis of a VN! It sounds like a really interesting twist on a slice of life story. The character art looks great, too! I'll be looking forward to this one. <3 Best of luck finishing!

AERenoir
Veteran

#5 Post by AERenoir »

Always love the phone feature, man. The art looks sweet, and I love the look of the characters. Can't wait to see how this went XD

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#6 Post by Reikun »

UOOHHH THIS LOOKS SO GOOD. I love konett's art T___T Best of luck to you two!!! I'm curious to how this story will unfold!!! (also yeh I wanna name my fake boyfriend hahahaha)
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#7 Post by Arowana »

I love the concept, and the customization feature sounds really interesting! Best of luck, I'm definitely looking forward to this! :D
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#8 Post by KittyKatStar »

I'm a sucker for cafe settings... <3

I really love the customizable boyfriend option. The art is beautiful, and I like the premise. Sounds awesome all around. >o< best of luck!

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#9 Post by Googaboga »

Love the concept and the designs are to die for. I can't get over how lovely Cloe is <3.

Good luck :D!
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

konett
Regular
Projects: White Lie, Witching Tower, Tropichu!
Tumblr: cosmickonett
Deviantart: konett
itch: konett

#10 Post by konett »

I'm really glad the concept is well liked! It's an absolute pleasure to work on.
I've set up a few systems that we've also wanted to use in later games, and it's all packing out nicely. I'm just very glad the codes work, haha.

Here are more outfits of Chloe:

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#11 Post by Harliqueen »

This sounds amazing! Love the character designs and art, they're really eye-catching :)
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

Razz
Veteran
Completed: Starlight Vega, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails
Projects: Two projects
Organization: Razzartvisual

Re: White Lie [GxB/GxG/Friendship][Slice of Life][NaNoRenO 2

#12 Post by Razz »

Oh wow I can't wait to play this...will be following your progress!

konett
Regular
Projects: White Lie, Witching Tower, Tropichu!
Tumblr: cosmickonett
Deviantart: konett
itch: konett

#13 Post by konett »

The Cafe backgrounds!

Shaples
Regular
Completed: Christmas Sweaters
Projects: White Lie, Tropichu!

#14 Post by Shaples »

Thank you everyone for your kind words and support! I'm so glad you're as excited as we are!

Today was Bring Shaples Up To Speed With The Coding Day, but I'm happy to say I got a good chunk of writing done despite spending a ridiculous amount of time fiddling with all the cool gadgets that konett has put together for this game. I'm still on task with my (terrifyingly ambitious) writing schedule, and the script just tipped the 6.5k mark, minus some of the phone conversations:
Statistics:

The game contains 614 dialogue blocks, containing 6,672 words and 34,199
characters, for an average of 10.9 words and 56 characters per block.

GrizelyBear
Regular

#15 Post by GrizelyBear »

Wow, the concept's really interesting, and I absolutely love the art! <3 I'll be looking forward to the release of this VN!