Akitsuki's Art Thread [Critiques are welcome!]

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Akitsuki
Veteran
Deviantart: ak-itsuki
Discord: fsalmon#5522

Akitsuki's Art Thread [Critiques are welcome!]

#1 Post by Akitsuki »

LOL so I was bored and I thought I should make one too. Though too bad I can't open things like doodle request and stuff with my current activity ^^" But critiques and comments are always welcome!!

These are some of my latest works. You can always check my deviantART account if you want to see more.
The link is on my signature below~

Also since I'm currently working on VNs as well, would you be interested to play a VN with my art in it? And if the VN is commercial, would you pay for it? Though it's not like I have plans yet for commercial release but just wondering.

Thanks for the visit anyway!
Attachments
A commission.
A commission.
My OC for an RP group.
My OC for an RP group.
Last edited by Akitsuki on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

Re: Akitsuki's Art Thread [Critics are welcome!]

#2 Post by Ran08 »

Waaah, your art is really pretty! I especially like the first picture. :) I like the coloring very much. :3

Sure! It's quite good, so what's not to like? Although... I have to say, that's not my only factor when choosing VNs to play. Art is the first thing I usually notice in a visual novel, but that's not what makes me stay. :) If I find the story interesting, then there's no reason why I won't try it out! :D

Hmmm... of course, you can go commercial in the future, but for now I think it's better to have more practice, just to have more experience! Your art is already good, but like with everything else, there's always room to improve. :)

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#3 Post by chocojax »

"Also since I'm currently working on VNs as well, would you be interested to play a VN with my art in it?"
Sure. If it's interesting enough to read, I'll play it. :P

"And if the VN is commercial, would you pay for it?"
I'm a cheap bastard, so probably not. Although, if you're planning on commercial in the future, probably would be best to have a few good free VNs beforehand.

Critiques:
obaa-muru.jpg
- Her left-most eye looks strange in that perspective. In ~3/4th profile view, the farthest eye starts to get more scooted up next to the nose the farther the face is turned.
- Her shoulders are too pointy/strangely bent. Look at your bare ~above breasts, and move your shoulders up slightly. What muscles or bones pop up, how is it angled from X angle or Y angle?
- Her hips look super wide! I'm assuming the wind blew to make her jacket and skirt poof up, but it's a mystery when it's cropped off. If you were doing something like that, giving more hints to the wind blowing around her hip area would be neat.

chihaya.jpg
- Profile view is pretty skewed. Definitely look at a profile view of a skull for hints at landmarks!
- Even if the hands don't show, always make guidelines for their arm joints so that you know where the wrist should go.
Hopefully this helps, yo!

Akitsuki
Veteran

#4 Post by Akitsuki »

Ran08 wrote:Waaah, your art is really pretty! I especially like the first picture. :) I like the coloring very much. :3

Sure! It's quite good, so what's not to like? Although... I have to say, that's not my only factor when choosing VNs to play. Art is the first thing I usually notice in a visual novel, but that's not what makes me stay. :) If I find the story interesting, then there's no reason why I won't try it out! :D

Hmmm... of course, you can go commercial in the future, but for now I think it's better to have more practice, just to have more experience! Your art is already good, but like with everything else, there's always room to improve. :)
Thank you very much! Glad you like it!

Yeah, though art is not the only factor whether or not to play a VN, but I personally think you'd always see the art first, then move to the story. I don't know if it works for other people too, but I do. Thank you for your answer! I'd do my best!!
chocojax wrote:"Also since I'm currently working on VNs as well, would you be interested to play a VN with my art in it?"
Sure. If it's interesting enough to read, I'll play it. :P

"And if the VN is commercial, would you pay for it?"
I'm a cheap bastard, so probably not. Although, if you're planning on commercial in the future, probably would be best to have a few good free VNs beforehand.

Critiques:
obaa-muru.jpg
- Her left-most eye looks strange in that perspective. In ~3/4th profile view, the farthest eye starts to get more scooted up next to the nose the farther the face is turned.
- Her shoulders are too pointy/strangely bent. Look at your bare ~above breasts, and move your shoulders up slightly. What muscles or bones pop up, how is it angled from X angle or Y angle?
- Her hips look super wide! I'm assuming the wind blew to make her jacket and skirt poof up, but it's a mystery when it's cropped off. If you were doing something like that, giving more hints to the wind blowing around her hip area would be neat.

chihaya.jpg
- Profile view is pretty skewed. Definitely look at a profile view of a skull for hints at landmarks!
- Even if the hands don't show, always make guidelines for their arm joints so that you know where the wrist should go.
Hopefully this helps, yo!
Thanks for your answers! LOL sure, I won't jump into commercial VNs before releasing free ones. But thanks for telling me!

And also, thank you very much for the critiques! Sometimes I also feel something's off but my siblings tell me they look fine, so I'm really glad you could point those out! LOL yeah, I haven't studied much about muscles or bones, so I kind of only have the slightest idea about how they work. Maybe I should try practicing more with pose references.

Oh, of course, it helps me a lot! Again, thanks for the critiques! ^^

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by chocojax »

Akitsuki wrote:Thanks for your answers! LOL sure, I won't jump into commercial VNs before releasing free ones. But thanks for telling me!

And also, thank you very much for the critiques! Sometimes I also feel something's off but my siblings tell me they look fine, so I'm really glad you could point those out! LOL yeah, I haven't studied much about muscles or bones, so I kind of only have the slightest idea about how they work. Maybe I should try practicing more with pose references.

No problem!! Yeah, most of the time friends and family don't really tell you anything unless you pester them enough, hah.

Lots of references would be good! I'm pretty lazy with studying sometimes, so whenever I'm outside and not doing anything, I just observe movement, which helps. :D

Akitsuki
Veteran

#6 Post by Akitsuki »

chocojax wrote:
Akitsuki wrote:Thanks for your answers! LOL sure, I won't jump into commercial VNs before releasing free ones. But thanks for telling me!

No problem!! Yeah, most of the time friends and family don't really tell you anything unless you pester them enough, hah.

Lots of references would be good! I'm pretty lazy with studying sometimes, so whenever I'm outside and not doing anything, I just observe movement, which helps. :D
LOL that, or they basically don't really care. In some of my cases though.
That's actually a good idea! I used to take pictures a lot of personal references, but not anymore. I should start doing it again, huh.

Also I did a drawing for a contest in deviantART. This is my first time drawing a dark-themed picture, so I'm not sure if I really get those scary feels LOL. I wonder if the girl's pose looks fine...
Attachments
The girl is a yandere, in case if it's not obvious enough LOL
The girl is a yandere, in case if it's not obvious enough LOL

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Akitsuki's Art Thread [Critiques are welcome!]

#7 Post by chocojax »

Nice! It's decently creeps, and still better than anything creepy I can make. :P

Here's a red-line, that'll hopefully help ya'!
- Some of her limbs are a tad bit too long, but not sure if intentionally for creeps or not.
- Thought it would be interesting if you played around more with gravity on her skirt!
- Initially, I wasn't sure what the guy was doing. I'm assuming he's choking his neck? If you wanted to make it more obvious, maybe you could've tried makin' his arm overlay over hers.
Also, something that I like to do for really small/intricate things that are a huge pain to line: for the floating bandages, maybe make a huge, flowing white line and just using the eraser tool for the wear/rip marks. Saves a lot of time and makes it have some more flow throughout too. :D
Attachments
abcd.png

Akitsuki
Veteran

Re: Akitsuki's Art Thread [Critiques are welcome!]

#8 Post by Akitsuki »

Chocojax you're as awesome as usual! Thanks so much for your feedback! Actually I wasn't really confident about the anatomy, so, yeah, I was expecting comments like that :D OMG yes, you're right! I should've tried using white lines instead of drawing it with the details. I don't know why I didn't think about that before...

Alsoooo, uh, I'm not as active as before because I'll have final tests around April and I have to prepare before going to university, but I managed to draw a little. This one here supposed to be a doodle but I got over-excited so it ended up into... a doodle with too much finishing LOL. Tell me what you think! I tried the painting-style-ish with various colors all over the drawing for the first time. Don't know if it works or not though.
Attachments
wind-merged.jpg