sorani's art dump [Livestream Off]

Art threads specific to a single artist.
sorani
Veteran

sorani's art dump [Livestream Off]

#1 Post by sorani »

Edit:n/a
Last edited by sorani on Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 15 times in total.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: z04's art dump

#2 Post by SundownKid »

Your art isn't too shabby. I think the main problem I'm seeing is that the linework looks really "sketchy". You should focus more on trying to do everything with single strokes, and that might also make things a bit less stiff since the lines wouldn't be as thick.

sorani
Veteran

#3 Post by sorani »

SundownKid wrote:Your art isn't too shabby. I think the main problem I'm seeing is that the linework looks really "sketchy". You should focus more on trying to do everything with single strokes, and that might also make things a bit less stiff since the lines wouldn't be as thick.
Thanks for the advice~
I'm a bit confused which piece you're talking about, but if you're talking about the last one, then I forgot to mention that those are sketches.
I work mostly by painting, so I start with a thick sketch and while I paint, I'll clean it up.
I've done clean lineart before, but my lineart is pretty stiff, that's why I try to make loose paintings.
But thanks for your comment~

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#4 Post by chocojax »

Aw shoot, I really like the way you used the colors for the painterly ones. :3c

shokugeki no souma fanart:
- Perspective on his right (our left) arm looks funky. Perhaps it should've been moved up a tad bi tmore, and a little bit more hidden by his chest.
- Shading on his face makes it appear strangely rounded (due to the straight-then-curve-at-the-end shadows). Would be better if it "followed" his face more, or had some more variety in shape. (I'm kinda wording this weird, so I can do a redraw if you'd like. '3')

Lok sprites (left):
- His body looks rather simple below the neck (in comparison to the right sprite), maybe try to exaggerate bumps and curves a bit more?
- His collar on the right extends too far out
- Low contrast between the bottom of his vest (?) and the shawl (?), also the disappearance of indent lines on the vest make it look like vest and shawl are merging

sorani
Veteran

#5 Post by sorani »

chocojax wrote:Aw shoot, I really like the way you used the colors for the painterly ones. :3c

shokugeki no souma fanart:
- Perspective on his right (our left) arm looks funky. Perhaps it should've been moved up a tad bi tmore, and a little bit more hidden by his chest.
- Shading on his face makes it appear strangely rounded (due to the straight-then-curve-at-the-end shadows). Would be better if it "followed" his face more, or had some more variety in shape. (I'm kinda wording this weird, so I can do a redraw if you'd like. '3')

Lok sprites (left):
- His body looks rather simple below the neck (in comparison to the right sprite), maybe try to exaggerate bumps and curves a bit more?
- His collar on the right extends too far out
- Low contrast between the bottom of his vest (?) and the shawl (?), also the disappearance of indent lines on the vest make it look like vest and shawl are merging
Thanks for the critique!
Yeah, I would love a redraw XD body in perspective is a new thing to me haha and face shading is confusing >3>
And yeah those Lok sprites are old, need to revamp them :3

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by chocojax »

sorani wrote:Thanks for the critique!
Yeah, I would love a redraw XD body in perspective is a new thing to me haha and face shading is confusing >3>
No probs!
I'm still pretty bad at perspective myself, heee. But, I really hope this helps a little!

Here's a little on face shading. I tried to keep it simple, but I'm not too sure about the tongue shading.
Lines for shading before
Quick shade over, indent around nose, a little bit more on the side of the face since faces curve, and a little bit more clear on the nose?

And for the perspective thing:
Kinda like this? I drew the neck and shoulders to help with placement.
Without underlying image

sorani
Veteran

#7 Post by sorani »

chocojax wrote:
sorani wrote:Thanks for the critique!
No probs!
I'm still pretty bad at perspective myself, heee. But, I really hope this helps a little!

Here's a little on face shading. I tried to keep it simple, but I'm not too sure about the tongue shading.
Lines for shading before
Quick shade over, indent around nose, a little bit more on the side of the face since faces curve, and a little bit more clear on the nose?

And for the perspective thing:
Kinda like this? I drew the neck and shoulders to help with placement.
Without underlying image

Thanks for the help XD I appreciate it~
Here's my corrected img

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by chocojax »

sorani wrote:Thanks for the help XD I appreciate it~
Here's my corrected img
Looks better! There's now a weird tangent between the arm/chest, though. link, #4

sorani
Veteran

#9 Post by sorani »

chocojax wrote: Looks better! There's now a weird tangent between the arm/chest, though. link, #4
Tangents look hard to avoid ;; I guess I need to practice compositions thumbnails to avoid them orz
Anyways, I changed the composition a bit.

sorani
Veteran

#10 Post by sorani »

My cuter style on girls in this new character design commission~

Ernestalice15
Regular
Projects: One Last Crane, Demoness, The Golden Catalyst
Organization: Animon Works
IRC Nick: Nomina
Tumblr: ernestalice15
Deviantart: Ernestalice15

#11 Post by Ernestalice15 »

Actually, I really like your art a lot. Even though it's sketchy, but it's a style. However, not gonna be able to used in every genre is also the fact. Popular style is popular. Unique style is just for them who understand :D

sorani
Veteran

#12 Post by sorani »

Here's my finished commission~

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by chocojax »

I just wanted to point out that in the left picture, it looks like the left sleeve's pink part isn't shaded (or not shaded the same way as the white part)? Otherwise, it's a really nice looking drawing, really loving the shading on it. (Especially the back!!)

sorani
Veteran

#14 Post by sorani »

@chocojax Oops O.o I must've missed that part orz thanks for telling me ^^; and thanks for the compliment :D I was worried the shading on the back came out weird XD

Anyways, I'll be hosting a live stream in a few hrs demonstrating my coloring process, if anyone wants to join :D
I'll update this thread and twitter when the time comes~

sorani
Veteran

#15 Post by sorani »

n/a
Last edited by sorani on Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.