FailedSanity * Art

Art threads specific to a single artist.
FailedSanity
Regular

FailedSanity * Art

#1 Post by FailedSanity »

I've been holding off on making an art thread of my own until I had something proper to put in it, and now I do! Finally finished my first practice sprite. The character, Alyx, belongs to a friend of mine. Alyx is male, so if it looks like a boy in a dress instead of a girl, that's because it is.

Uploaded additional expressions as just heads, for smaller file sizes.

Constructive critique is 100% encouraged!
Attachments
alyx_l1.png
heads 3.png
heads2.png
heads1.png
artist otome game fan art tumblr

arachni42
Veteran
Organization: no, I'm pretty messy

Re: FailedSanity * Art

#2 Post by arachni42 »

The style (in terms of shape) reminds me of The Last Unicorn. I like that the coloring is used to give shape to things -- the hair, the clothes. Overall, I think it works well and I like it! It does look like a boy in a dress but with that hair could pass for a girl. ;)

As far as critique... not a lot is coming to mind, but there are a couple things. I'm not entirely sure about that glow effect on the highlights on the eye. It looks fine but it conflicts with the cell-shading style of the coloring on the rest of the image. I think it would look better without that effect. The highlighting on the right side of the hair doesn't look right as far as placement (it is apparently on the face that more light is coming from the left... plus, even if there is a light from the right, judging by the hair it's from an unusually low height). The other thing that stuck out to me was that the shoulders look a bit too... horizontal. Some roundedness is appropriate for a young boy in this style, but they should still slope down a little bit more away from the neck to look more natural.

I would analyze the clothing but I'm not very familiar with how wrinkles should be placed, so maybe someone else can comment on that. ;)

In any case, I like it and hope you do more!
I, Miku (NaNoRenO 2014)
Vignettes (NaNoRenO 2013)