Essential features for EVEN: a new visual novel engine

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
2dt
Regular

Re: Essential features for EVEN: a new visual novel engine

#61 Post by 2dt »

Shiroisalva5 wrote:
Pretty much. When exported, it's basically just EVEN, the assets (images, sounds, etc...), and a few configuration and script files. The structure is very straight forward, and you won't have to do anything crazy like modify the engine to achieve custom functionality.
Getting more and more interested. :9

If you need some small assets or someone that should test some stuff for you, count me in :)
Thanks. I might actually take you up the small assets offer soon.

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#62 Post by Vatina »

How is this one coming along? I'm really interested in what you can make with this :)

2dt
Regular

#63 Post by 2dt »

Vatina wrote:How is this one coming along? I'm really interested in what you can make with this :)
Slow and steady wins the race. ;)

I'm working on it every day. But I don't wanna shout anything until I have something solid to show.

It can do just about anything, even stuff that you didn't think you would want to do. It's designed to be infinitely customizable. Is there anything in particular you had in mind? Tell me what kind of VN you're trying to make and I'll tell you if it can be done.

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#64 Post by Vatina »

That sounds great! Glad to hear it's still working out for you.

I guess like DaFool I'm most interested in its ability to work with stuff like Construct2, for all things non-VN that one would want to put in the game. Other than that I'm mostly just hoping for the usual backbones VN stuff for text scenes, like rollback and skip and the like. Nothing major really, at least not so far.

meiri
Regular
Projects: Tutor Tabitha, Movement
Organization: Blue Bottlecap Games

#65 Post by meiri »

Im glad this is coming along well for you! This engine is going to run with JavaScript, yes? I have one question in such case:
What kind of file type does our coding save to? For example, Ren'py has .rpy files. Will this use .xml, .html, or some custom type file extension? I'm not particularly familiar with JavaScript, so I'm just curious :)
What's in a loop? A loop iterated in any other way would output as sweet.
--
Have a look at my GxG kinetic novel, Movement, if you have the chance?

2dt
Regular

#66 Post by 2dt »

meiri wrote:Im glad this is coming along well for you! This engine is going to run with JavaScript, yes? I have one question in such case:
What kind of file type does our coding save to? For example, Ren'py has .rpy files. Will this use .xml, .html, or some custom type file extension? I'm not particularly familiar with JavaScript, so I'm just curious :)
It actually depends on your use case. EVEN primarily accepts two sources of code: .json (JavaScript Object Notation), and .js (JavaScript).
  • For standalone EVEN use, .json(It's a VERY easy language to learn).
  • For embedding into other games (like DaFool and Vatina are interested in), ostensibly you'd have JavaScript programming knowledge, so you would code in .js files (javascript files).
  • Depending on how you organize it, you might even be doing a combination of both of the above.
  • At some point, I'd like to introduce something like a fountain style script for basic visual novels that don't need custom functionality, to make it super easy for non-programmers to work with. Take a look at fountain.io for more info.

demanrisu
Completed: Steal My Artificial Heart, RE\VISION, Starbound, Staxel, Loverwatch

#67 Post by demanrisu »

Hi,

How's progress on this? I'm very interested in a good browser-based VN system for a jam I'm currently participating in.

2dt
Regular

#68 Post by 2dt »

demanrisu wrote:Hi,

How's progress on this? I'm very interested in a good browser-based VN system for a jam I'm currently participating in.
Probably won't be ready any time soon. Sorry. =(

demanrisu

#69 Post by demanrisu »

2dt wrote: Probably won't be ready any time soon. Sorry. =(
No biggie! I think I've found a solution that'll work for now. Looking forward to seeing you progress on this, though - it looks cool!

soggybottoms
Regular

#70 Post by soggybottoms »

Hi! Just wanted to add my input since I'm always on the lookout for alternative VN creation programs. I'm one of those artistic types who hopes and prays to one day have the perfect WYSIWYG system to create from. Was using Novelty with some good results but unfortunately support and development for that software fizzled out some years ago which is why I finally relented and gave Renpy a shot, even though programming scared me to death. I love it now, of course, but it'd be even better if there were a way to merge the functionality with a more user-friendly interface.

I haven't completed a game yet, though my main focus has always been on raising/dating sims like Princess Maker 2 and Long Live The Queen. Lots of stat juggling, many different possible outcomes depending on how you play the game. I'm really hoping support for this type of game will be a no brainer. n_n Thanks for working so hard on something a lot of people will undoubtedly find so useful!!

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#71 Post by Kato »

soggybottoms wrote:Hi! Just wanted to add my input since I'm always on the lookout for alternative VN creation programs.
I'm definitely in the same boat. I've been playing around with tonnes of different engines to see what best suits my VN Summer Winds and EVEN sounds great. If you ever want/need a tester for I would love to try out coding Summer Winds in EVEN and seeing how it turns out :)
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

TheTraveler

#72 Post by TheTraveler »

Hmm, a year in development, (the OP was working on it 3 months before posting his announcement in February), and still no demo?

demanrisu

#73 Post by demanrisu »

TheTraveler wrote:Hmm, a year in development, (the OP was working on it 3 months before posting his announcement in February), and still no demo?
Well, yeah. These things take time, you know.

Rene

#74 Post by Rene »

At a gallery option should be available

camisteja
Regular

#75 Post by camisteja »

I really hope to see a demo for EVEN some day! The project sounds interesting. <3