Possible to translate during process?

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
VisualLearning

Possible to translate during process?

#1 Post by VisualLearning »

I have discovered that if I start translating (Language2) and change something in the original version (Language1) then the text that will be shown when the translated language (Language2) is selected is the original language (Language1). This happens even if I make the changes consistent in both the original language and the translated script.rpy. Is this some kind of error?

So, once I start translating I can never ever correct errors in the main language?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Possible to translate during process?

#2 Post by PyTom »

You have to retranslate. The problem is, there isn't a good way for the computer to know that a change in wording is not intentional. Running the translate function again will add in the new translations, and it will add them with TODOs you can access from the navigation section of the launcher.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

VisualLearning

#3 Post by VisualLearning »

Thank you for the answer.

I had assumed that hitting Generate Translations would completely overwrite the folder and create new files.

Will I be able to delete statements and make changes by running the translate function? If I expect to do a lot of changes, should I try out inline translation? The documentation about it is very short and I don't know how to translate the preference menu if I do it that way.

Ever consider a git kind of way of creating merge conflicts (but in-program) that can be resolved. So if I change the original language string and change it the same way for the original string in the translated languages script then it just allows me to make changes. Makes sense? I don't know if that would be hard to do.

But it works so far, so thanks. I am starting to dig the work with the engine.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

Generally, you want to translate after the game is mostly stable. Ren'Py will add new translations, but it's not yet smart enough to remove obsolete translations.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom