Seeking Artists for Missing Stars

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
Raithfyre
Regular
Completed: Highway Blossoms, Heart of the Woods
Projects: Highway Blossoms: Next Exit, Samayuuni, ???
Organization: Studio Élan
IRC Nick: raithfyre
Tumblr: considerrewordingthis

Seeking Artists for Missing Stars

#1 Post by Raithfyre »

Hiya, I'm the art director for Missing Stars, a longstanding slice-of-life visual novel in progress. Often viewed as a spiritual successor to the smash-hit Katawa Shoujo, MS has a similar premise. Right now, we're seeking additional artists.
SUMMARY

MISSING STARS is a visual novel focusing on a group of students in the fictional “St. Dymphna Privatsonderkolleg,” a school in Vienna for students with needs. The main character is Erik Wilhelm, an 18 year old student who transfers to St. Dymphna’s after an accident. There, he meets the novel’s female protagonists: Annaliese, Isolda, Jeanne, Lena, Katja and twin sisters Natasha and Natalya. Though Erik faces his own challenges, he also attempts to help the friends he meets at St. Dymphna’s cope with their own unique life situations. Depending on the choices he makes, some friendships may grow into romance.
WHY MAKE THIS?

The topic of psychological illness isn’t usually discussed in modern media, and even when it is, it often isn’t handled very well.

MISSING STARS deals with many psychological disorders and what those disorders mean for the people who suffer from them, in terms of personal difficulties, social stigma, as well as struggle to find a place in the world.

We want to be as honest in this portrayal as possible, which means not shying away from taboo. In particular, MISSING STARS challenges the too-often held belief that people with mental disorders are incapable or undeserving of romantic relationships. Our goal is to dismantle prejudice and misconception in favor of respect and understanding.
WHERE YOU COME IN

While Somnova has many dedicated and passionate members, we are still looking for talented artists to reinforce our art department. As an artist you would be assigned to a certain character and help in the completion of their assets (BG's, Sprites, CG's), though at times you may asked to work with another character. You may be asked to help with background art, CGs, or with a stage in the creation of sprites (such as sketches, line work or coloring). The division of tasks helps us ensure a unified art style across the entire visual novel, but also place our artists in areas that highlight their strengths and make the best use of their talent. You'll also be encouraged, though not required, to participate in general story development and have a say in the game's overall direction. Please note that this project does include explicit sexual content, though its creation isn't necessarily expected of each artist.

There isn't a strict deadline or estimation for when the project will be completed. Of course, we understand that this game is most likely not going to be your only, or even top priority. However, we do expect that a member be productive and motivated, as well as good at maintaining communication.

Most discussion and team activity takes place on the IRC channel. We have five formal meetings each week, and while you aren’t expected to be present for all of them, the more you can attend, the better. Nothing helps keep the team strong more than communication. Even if there isn’t a meeting going on, you’re invited to stop by and chat.
COMPENSATION

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT WE CANNOT OFFER ANY FORM OF PAYMENT.

No one on the team will be making money off MISSING STARS. All we receive for our efforts is the satisfaction of working with other talented people, improving our craft, and creating
something we can be proud of.

We’d love to have you on board with us, but we also understand if your schedule or situation means you can’t afford to work on a volunteer basis. If that is the case, we wish you good luck in all your future endeavors.

STYLE

As with any project, we strive to maintain a somewhat consistent style across our work.

Right now, we're fortunate to already have a small but dedicated art team. Only a few of them have public galleries, however. That list includes, but is not limited to: Morthiasik and Angry Evil and Clivenart on sprites, Myuto (NSFW) on CG's, and the legendary Mike Inel providing the opening animations.

Therefore, it's important that any new artists be able to replicate the necessary style at least somewhat decently (final consistency edits will be handled by a member of the current team). This primarily applies to anyone interested in applying to work on sprites - there's a bit more freedom with CG's and BG's. Below is the rough lineart of one of our character sprites, representing what a final product will roughly look like. Interested applicants must be able to pull this off.
INTERESTED?

If this seems like a project that you'd like to be a part of, you can post in this thread, PM me, or feel free to add me on Skype (same username there as on here) if you'd like to discuss expectations more in-depth. When applying, please be prepared to complete a brief assignment which will consist of drawing to some certain specifications.

Need more information on the project itself? Check out our website to visit our forums, dev blog, IRC channel, or extensive art gallery, full of concept and guest art.

Thank you for taking the time to check us out, and we look forward to hearing from you soon.
Last edited by Raithfyre on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

Re: Seeking Artists for Missing Stars

#2 Post by Katta »

Natasha and Natalya is the same name - if that's intended please don't mind my comment.

Raithfyre
Regular

#3 Post by Raithfyre »

It is intended - inside joke that predates my time with the project I think, hah. Thank you though!

Ferdokki
Veteran
Completed: Before Dream Valley, Chasing, Fear&Love
IRC Nick: Ferdokki

#4 Post by Ferdokki »

Do you have any colored/completed sprites you could show as an example of what you want the final sprite product to look like?
I mainly do coloring stuff, so the line art doesn't actually show me much. x)

Raithfyre
Regular

#5 Post by Raithfyre »

Hi, very sorry for the late-ish response. I'm afraid that at the moment we don't have any colored sprites, simply due to the way our production process works. However, if you have a few samples of your coloring that you can provide, that should probably be sufficient. Alternatively, send me a PM. We should have a colored sample within the week.

Ferdokki
Veteran
Completed: Before Dream Valley, Chasing, Fear&Love
IRC Nick: Ferdokki

#6 Post by Ferdokki »

Well the thing is that I myself don't have any specific style; I'm flexible enough to try to pull off whatevers, which is why I was asking if you guys had anything so that I could see if I might be able to replicate the coloring style.

It's ok though, I'll just check back later once a colored sprite pops up. =)

Raithfyre
Regular

#7 Post by Raithfyre »

Bumping this because we're tentatively looking for a couple more artists.

Sayuui
Regular
Completed: Refraction, I want to fly
Projects: Seraphim
IRC Nick: Sayuui

#8 Post by Sayuui »

Ooh I see. it really looks like an amazing project and the idea is really amazing! Too bad I'm not joining free projects this time... Good luck recruiting. ' u '
Freelance anime artist. Find me on
Recruitment thread
Twitter
Art portfolio
Instagram
Business inquiries: sayuuiart@gmail.com

TLAOlt
Regular

#9 Post by TLAOlt »

Mmmmmm I don't know if I'm good enough... I am mostly a semi-realistic artist who dabbles in painting... I have a bit of an obsession with things being anatomically correct. I apologize in advance... the spoilers don't seem to want to work....

This is my usual style (unfortunately, it takes forever and a day to do... that took me about a week and a half.):
This is my best attempt at full anime style:
I work through Photoshop Elements and PaintTool SAI. I have to say that I'm a pretty slow worker and I require either visual reference or a high-detailed description. I also would not really be interested in a heavy work load, since I am currently in college and my education comes first. From your description, however, it sounds like I would be doing a little bit of everything and not grinding away on one thing... which interests me. I also thoroughly agree on the message that Missing Stars is trying to deliver. I'd like to talk about it more, so let me know how, where and when we can sit down and talk this over.

Thank you,
~TLA
Last edited by TLAOlt on Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

halcyon

#10 Post by halcyon »

Raithfyre wrote:Bumping this because we're tentatively looking for a couple more artists.
Hey, this seems like a really cohesive team, so I'm interested!
Samples of my art can be found in this thread:
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 38&t=27607

TLAOlt
Regular

#11 Post by TLAOlt »

Ahh... you're pretty good Hal, I remember seeing your stuff before! ^___^... what do you use program-wise?

Raithfyre
Regular

#12 Post by Raithfyre »

Sorry for the late response. I'm going to go ahead and say that any interested applicants should check out our art gallery on the Somnova website, and then create an uncolored lineart of the character of their choice, doing their best to mimic the style shown in the attached image above. This applies to those who have already applied. Thanks for the interest, everyone!

Leon296
Completed: just wait....
Projects: title's not finalized yet.
Organization: nah
IRC Nick: Leon

#13 Post by Leon296 »

When it comes to cgs wgat matters the most?

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#14 Post by Rinima »

Leon296 wrote:When it comes to cgs wgat matters the most?
I presume being able to draw to the same standards of the current artists?
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Raithfyre
Regular

#15 Post by Raithfyre »

Rinima wrote:I presume being able to draw to the same standards of the current artists?
Pretty much, yeah. I mean, obviously, skill level comes into it as well? But consistency is equally important, I think. I'm afraid that I don't quite understand the question though.