ipod touch VNs!

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

ipod touch VNs!

#1 Post by Riviera »

Because of a combination of good sales, good fortune, and an obsessive need to squirrel away money, I've found myself in the sweet position of being able to get an iPod touch.

I've heard that the app store actually has a good amount of visual novels and otome games in english (and not), but I have no idea where I'd be looking to find these hidden treasures..

The iPod itself had to be ordered and thus was only shipped today, it's expected sometime this week. Sooner the better.

Anyone know of any of these games offhand? Or know of any companies for me to look for? Is it even possible to just do a search for vns/otome games on there?
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

fischer22
Regular

Re: ipod touch VNs!

#2 Post by fischer22 »

There are many in japanese of course.

In english, you can buy a few at the app store: Kira Kira, Higurashi no Naku koro ni and I think Gift (english version) are the only ones I remember now...
If you search in Itunes for Visual Novel you´ll find a few, try that. (and then look at the complete list of apps by that author).

If you jailbreak it, you can also add some vn that use onscripter (manual install, no itunes). For japanese version, there are many many many games available... There is also an english version of Onscripter, that runs some games like Tsukihime and Umineko no naku koro ni. Contact me if you need anything. Good luck!

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#3 Post by papillon »

From this forum topic you should be able to find a few more games for that platform.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

Here's some comments on iPod Touch compatible visual novels that I have tried.

The Flower Shop: Summer in Fairbrook is a visual novel adaptation of the original indie game. So if you want challenging gameplay, purchase the original computer game from Winter Wolves. But if you are only interested in the story, then you might enjoy the iOS version.

As far as I know, Gift is no longer on iTunes US. This is not necessarily a bad thing... because as others have said, the translation was created with a machine, and it was almost incomprehensible.

The full version of Kira Kira costs only $10. But some comments on iTunes indicate that the recent version has a few crash-causing bugs. (Might depend on what iDevice you use...) You may prefer to buy Mangagamer's all-ages version for Windows instead.

My Neighbor Girl is sort of a raising sim. I liked the gameplay ideas, but again, it was created (and acted) by people who may not speak much English.

My Virtual Girlfriend is gameplay-driven, and uses 3D polygon art. If that's relevant to your interests, then you may enjoy it.

The translation quality of Ren'ai Shugi Road to Emerald isn't much better (though it may have been improved in an update)... but for a $2 "reverse harem Wizard of Oz" visual novel it's not bad.

Pinky Distortion is $4. As someone else on this forum said, it's kind of a generic otome game. I found writing halfway decent. Hopefully there will be a second part of this story.

Finally, there's some short stories available, such as Sakevisual's VN Ripples and Zeiva Inc's story Phantom Seeds.
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Riviera »

Yeah.. I asked a bit on a different forum too, and one of the responses was that KiraKira's OP crashed on an iTouch 2g. It sounds neat, but... it'd be a shame to buy it and have it not work correctly. :(

I tried the web version of Flower Shop so I think it'd be the same as that? It wasn't half bad.

papillon wrote:From this forum topic you should be able to find a few more games for that platform.
Thanks for the link! :)

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by gekiganwing »

Here's something that debuted on iTunes a few days ago -- "Mini Gay Boyfriend." It has a website at http://www.minigayboyfriend.com , which doesn't exactly describe the gameplay... but which states what sort of events can occur in the game, and shows its 2d cartoony graphics.
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

Machus
Regular
Completed: Haircuts, 99 Luftballons

#7 Post by Machus »

I know of two good free iOS visual novels by vNovel Interactive: Ripples and Phantom Seeds.

Both are short and sweet (the first is a port of a visual novel on the computer - its remake can be found on this forum at http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... &view=next). However, their tones are very different from one another's.

vNovel also did the aforementioned port of The Flower Shop. It was just story, but I found it cute and quaint. Well worth the money.

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Riviera »

gekiganwing wrote:Here's something that debuted on iTunes a few days ago -- "Mini Gay Boyfriend." It has a website at http://www.minigayboyfriend.com , which doesn't exactly describe the gameplay... but which states what sort of events can occur in the game, and shows its 2d cartoony graphics.

I am tempted to get that.... lol!

I've already played Phantom Seeds on the PC, but I did get Ripples for my iPod because I hadn't played it yet. It's very nice!

Megumi
Regular
Projects: Love Buffet

#9 Post by Megumi »

I actually played Road to Emerald. (or something I forgot the name of)

Huh. The idea was not bad. Really. I just found it... well, didn't go REALLY far into characterization. It was decent considering the price but I didn't find the need to play a second time. :/

I also tried pinky Distortion. You have to remember to set the language of the itouch to ENGLISH or the game will not work properly. Then again, it was just an introduction so I was... sad. =) (I MANAGED TO GET THE BAD ENDING LOL. IN THE FIRST EP, YOU CAN MANAGE TO DISSOLVE THE BAND XDDD)
La vie est un rêve, c'est le réveil qui nous tue.

Love Buffet

To read about (crackish) reviews for otome games, click here.

icebluehost
Regular
Projects: The Aces

#10 Post by icebluehost »

There's this new japanese VN company called Think-a that's making lots of otome iphone apps. Unfortunately for non-Japanese speakers, they're all in Jap version.

http://www.think-a.jp/think-a_ip/ip_saf ... index.html

I'm playing London Detective Story 2 since that's one of their free ones. >.< I really hate having to guess which choice to make. So far I always get the same ending...I think it's a bad ending. I dunno...lol check it out and see/play it for yourself. ^^ One of you will most likely be luckier than I am.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by gekiganwing »

I learned about Imaginary Range, a free app described as a digital comic (presumably similar to a VN) with mini-games, thanks to other threads. I'll be downloading it soon.

Also, it looks like more Kairosoft games are getting released on iOS and Android. The company has released two complex, worksafe business simulation games in English so far -- Game Dev Story and Hot Springs Story. So while Wakuwaku Manga Dojo is currently only in Japanese, I expect there will be an English version in the next few months.

imagineergames
Completed: Smart drop
Projects: Shades of Violet: Song of the clockwork princess. Kingdom the conspiracy.

#13 Post by imagineergames »

Have you tried the Vera Blanc Games? They're completely non-anime but make for a very fun ride.

Search also for "Save our souls". It is very short, but looks impressive.

There was a sort of adventure game / VN from a french developer... Let me get home to my itunes library and I'll tell you the name, can't recall it at all.

And if you don't mind me plugging this, You'll have a new one to try this august 19 in Kingdom: The conspiracy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsI7vt_bD1I

Eulu

#14 Post by Eulu »

While I haven't played it myself yet, a quick search brought me this: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/twilight ... 18528?mt=8

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Riviera »

@icebluehost: When I advance a bit more in my japanese, that'll be a great company to look at. At least I know of one to keep an eye on. Thanks!

@newmember: Thanks for the link!

@gekiganwing: I love Imaginary Range, and really hope they add more content onto it soon. It was a lot of fun looking around for different objects to collect. I've heard about Kairosoft, and I'm thinking about looking into those two.

@imagineergames: I have! I've played both and love the puzzles in them, and I can be kind of picky about what puzzles I like. I especially liked the hangman game it had you do to read minds. Looking up SoS now. I'll keep an eye on your game too!

@Eulu: I prefer otome games, but that one does look nice. Thanks for the suggestion!