Pirates in Love (GxB story, iOS only)

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Pirates in Love (GxB story, iOS only)

#1 Post by gekiganwing »

I was almost caught up with fandom-related news this evening, when I saw an odd press release on the right side of Anime News Network. It appears that a company called Voltage Inc has just now released a reverse harem story for iOS devices. In other words, "Pirates in Love" is a worksafe visual novel. Its plot and characters are described here, with marketing hype and all: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/press-r ... in-the-usa The link includes the game's iTunes listing and its Facebook page.

Looks like the basic app is free, but Voltage is charging $4 US for each "script" (story path, I presume). And the free portion might just be the prologue. In other words, you pay for as much or as little DLC as you want. As of this writing, the iOS game Heian Love has a similar way to get fans to spend money -- but that app has a modest cost, and only a few story paths in Heian Love cost more money.

One more thing. The press release has statements about how Voltage has created a huge number of romance games. But the company is not currently mentioned on the Visual Novel Database at all.

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

Re: Pirates in Love (GxB story, iOS only)

#2 Post by SilverxBlue »

Phooey! It's only available on the Iphone4 and I only have an Iphone 3G T_T.
But still, even if it would be available on the Iphone 3G I would still have my second thoughts. $4 per path is a little bit too much, especially if there are a grand total of seven guys.
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by OtomeWeekend »

Voltage is the same creator of Keitai Ouji(Cellphone Prince?). I love their works and this game is indeed popular cause I've its CM many times months ago xP

I've tried it too, the voice actors were awesome hope they didn't changed it in the US ver. :)
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#4 Post by Mink »

Okay, I've actually played this game now (the prologue, at least), since I've got an Ipod Touch.

And it's not bad. It's not GREAT, but it's okay. At times the English is a bit off, but it's not all that noticeable; a few spelling/word errors, and it feels a bit stilted every now and then, but it's pretty good aside from that. That art's pretty nice, so that's also a plus.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Chu-3
Veteran
Completed: CAFE 0~The Drowned Mermaid~,duplicity~Beyond the Lies~, East Tower Series,How to Take Off Your Mask,CAFE 0 ~The Sleeping Beast~, How to Fool a Liar King
Projects: How to Fool a Liar King
Organization: roseVeRte
Tumblr: roseverte
itch: roseverte

#5 Post by Chu-3 »

Voltage is a well-known otome games creator for Japanese cell-phone. (yes, they doesn't make for console or pc) therefore, you might not hear much about them. They always have the top 10 position of cell-phone game, and they always make game with the recent popular theme in Japan. Like when a vampire story is popular in XXX magazine (shoujo/ ladies comic), they'll make a game in similar setting soon. I don't have iOS so I can't try it yet... ugh...

Aurehan
Regular

#6 Post by Aurehan »

Oh wow, haha. I actually know what you're talking about.
I recently got this app for my phone, actually and I decided to try out Eduardo. The prologue was okay, so I thought I might as well give it a shot. Honestly, I don't believe it's worth the $4.
The story was interesting, and the CGs were beautiful, but the dialog was a little.. off? It didn't affect the story, it's just that when I looked at the sprite, then read the dialogue, it just seemed out of character. xD (I'm being biased, aren't I?) I don't know, I think it was supposed to have a piratey feel to it, but I just felt like it was too ghetto to be something that I just paid four bucks for. (If you sign up for the e-mails though, they are sweet.. at some point *ugh why'd I choose the sadist..!?*)
I still liked it, but really, 7 guys x $4 = $28? Pricey! Maybe I'm just being a cheap old asian lady, but I feel cheated since the Shall We Date sims have the same amount of obtainables but are still relatively cheaper, and the paths seem to be the same length, too. =u=;;

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG

#7 Post by Mink »

Well, I recently bought Christopher's path, and it's really the only one I've played so far.

Why Christopher? This is what actually happened when I first saw this game: "Hey, this looks interesting, and that art is nice. These guys are -HOLY CRAP IS THAT A BLACK GUY??"

So, yeah. I HAD to play that. He just...he's like the odd one out, even more so since this game is Japanese. He's funny, though. And by funny, I'm mean a total ditz. There's a part where he hits the MC in the face with a door, and before that he patted her on the head forgetting she's got a bump on it. Or as MC put it, "He's such a space cadet."

*Website, yo*

Eulu

#8 Post by Eulu »

the last two stories, Morgan and Thomas, are finally out now as of yesterday, i think.

Aurehan
Regular

#9 Post by Aurehan »

Lol I love Mink's comment xD
Hehe I'd love to play the Captain's path he looks so coool and Thomas is just adorbs >3<

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Mink »

Seriously, I wasn't expecting Christopher's character to...exist.

Annnd now I have the Captain's. Why? WHY NOT. (Also, when I see his name there's an liquor commercial I keep thinking of, adding unintentional hilarity. HE'S GOT A LITTLE CAPTAIN IN HIM.)

Also, him, Thomas, and Christopher are the only ones who don't seem to immediately hate you. I mean, one guy threatens to sell you into slavery. He said he was joking, but he IS a pirate...

Thomas is adorable, but wanting to play him makes me feel like a dirty old lady. D: Also, two words: shirtless captain.

*Website, yo*

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#11 Post by kara24601 »

I really wish they would release these for non-iphone people (in other words - make pc and console versions)

I also wish they'd bring giftpia and angelique series - (and the rest of the atelier games, various otome games, and various other asian games) = to the states as well

*pouts*

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by HigurashiKira »

I just started reading this, and I'm surpised by how good the writing is; but my inner historian is preventing me from truly enjoying this.
Back during Pirate times, it was considered bad luck to have a woman on board a ship. The only way a woman could get on board a pirate ship was by disguising herself as a man or taking over the ship by killing the captain. Our heroine does none of these things, which makes me a but unhappy. Having her woo one of the guys while disguised would have made for a great plot device. (Though it might make you wonder a bit about the guys...)
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#13 Post by kara24601 »

I have mixed feelings about being super historically accurate when it comes to entertainment, especially games. *shrugs*

I can kind of understand the annoyance though and it would be neat to see an alternative version done in the way you were hoping....

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Mink »

HigurashiKira wrote:I just started reading this, and I'm surpised by how good the writing is; but my inner historian is preventing me from truly enjoying this.
Back during Pirate times, it was considered bad luck to have a woman on board a ship. The only way a woman could get on board a pirate ship was by disguising herself as a man or taking over the ship by killing the captain. Our heroine does none of these things, which makes me a but unhappy. Having her woo one of the guys while disguised would have made for a great plot device. (Though it might make you wonder a bit about the guys...)
The fact that these are absurdly nice pirates doesn't bother you? <x<

Also, I have to admit, from a historic point of view Christopher's...existence and character as a whole makes a part of my brain go, "Pfft, not likely." Then again, considering this game
has magical stones that control weather and giant sea monsters,
I can suspend disbelief.

On a different note, a certain aspect of the captain's character makes his name and the thing about the liquor commercial all the more hilarious. His route is actually pretty sweet, though.

*Website, yo*

Aurehan
Regular

#15 Post by Aurehan »

Don't forget Sea monsters. Then again, that could have just been an exaggeration of a large squid or octopus creature.
Mink wrote:On a different note, a certain aspect of the captain's character makes his name and the thing about the liquor commercial all the more hilarious. His route is actually pretty sweet, though.
Other than his strong bond with the booze? Totally off-topic, but I really want to know what liquor commercial this is now xD
I actually didn't enjoy the captain's route as much as Eduardo's :I
The overall story was really cute, though.. <-< not trying to contradict myself orz-they're all cute idek
It may or may not have been because of Alan's interference OHOHO, just kidding. (He was actually pretty annoying. xc)
I will admit that the captain makes me swoon, though. xD I don't know if anyone else thinks this too, but I feel that whenever you have someone who openly enjoys women, or are the favorite of women always go through the moody "avoidance-phase". Like, once they get really deep into a serious relationship or when they realize their feelings, they start avoiding the other person; I mean it's not always the same reason, but it always. happens. (Even in dramas and books) And I don't mean to always be such a nazi about these kinds of things, but: it was probably because he was a totally awesome captain and his path was rigged so easy, but a few of the choices seem like they were just thrown in there as point boosters. They sometimes all looked like the same answer to me, only worded differently. (I don't know if that's because of the language barrier thing, but I doubt that they would be so similar..)
Just because you keep mentioning him, I think I'm going to play through Christopher's path too, Mink xD (When I get the money)
"The two most important days of your life are
the day you are born, and the day you find out why.
"
[♦] Mark Twain