Writer, Editor, and Proofreader for Hire [Paid]

Forum rules
Never bump threads. Per rule 16, updates may be posted once every 2 months. Per rule 18, disclose generative AI use when creating/updating a thread. Violating these rules may led to thread deletion.
trevers18
Regular
Projects: As Fate Would Have It

Writer, Editor, and Proofreader for Hire [Paid]

#1 Post by trevers18 »

Greetings! I can only assume that you've stumbled into this thread out of interest of hiring, so I'll cut straight to the chase.

About Me:

My name is Trever. I'm 18 years old and I live in the United States. I've been writing since I was about 5 years old. I am, by no means, a professional writer. I haven't been published and rarely do I even submit stories online. However, I do write quite extensively and I would consider myself to be quite good at creating a story. I've always been excellent at English and composition and I have no problem articulating myself clearly and with correct grammar and spelling. I've been in the more advanced English classes for my entire highschool career. I am slowly becoming comfortable with the Ren'Py program as I continue my project, As Fate Would Have It, and I feel I can offer my writing abilities to others who find themselves struggling to create realistic characters and plots for their visual novel. I will be leaving for college on August 20th and I will be significantly more busy past then, so I may reduce my prices at that point due to lack of availability.

Strengths:
  • I specialize in character development. I've spent years analyzing humans and their thoughts and actions, and can create characters that are completely realistic. I can make characters believable, lovable, and engaging.
  • As a member of the LGBT+ community, I also specialize in creating LGBT characters (see current project for examples).
  • I am excellent at developing non-stereotypical female characters.
  • I am better at writing BxB or GxG than BxG/GxB, but I can still write all of them.
  • I'm particularly good at writing for post-apocalyptic/zombie games.
  • I am decent at writing romance, comedy, and
  • I'm quite excellent at grammar and spelling. Although I have minor slip-ups here and there, my writing abilities are still, in my opinion, quite decent. ;)
  • I am a decent proofreader and know plenty of grammar rules that will assist me in correcting mistakes.
Weaknesses:
  • I sometimes struggle with correctly developing male characters, as I myself am not a normal male. I lean towards the feminine side, so masculinity tends to evade my characters on occasions.
  • As mentioned before, writing GxB/BxG tends to be a bit harder for me.
  • I require an outline with a list of events in the order they happen in order to correctly write story. The events don't have to be given all at once, but listing them in the correct order is a requirement. The list will ensure that I can correctly connect the events to one another and not produce a scattered plot.
  • I sometimes take creative liberties where they are not welcome. I will correct these upon request.
  • I often am stubborn on my grammar and will not change it if I feel it is incorrect to do so. Clients in the past, specifically those not from western countries, sometimes quarrel with me on correct grammar.
Will Not Write For:
  • Games involving harems or furries/animal-humanoid creatures.
  • 18+ dating sims
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, etc. games
  • Games that take place in times before the 1900s.
  • Games that do not interest me (I will inform you if I am not interested in the subject matter of your game)
Writing Examples:

From a small game I had been making in the ChoiceScript engine (choices and programming language removed):
This is how most of your encounters with these infected men and women go - they attack you, you kill them, you feel bad about it. But that's life in this bleak, ravaged world. You scavenge the bodies of the man and woman you killed. You find some cash - useless in this day and age - and some food, which you put into your bag. You retrieve the arrows you shot and put them back in your sheath, to use for later. You're glad you have a bow, because reusable ammo is valuable in a world like this.

You listen around, except you're not listening for something that can be heard with your ears. You're listening for thoughts. You pick up the eratic, painful thoughts of other infected people, but they're very faint, which means the creatures thinking them are too far away to worry about. For now, at least.

As you walk down the street of the town, keeping a close mental eye on any perceivable thoughts, you think back to when you first discovered your telepathic abilities.

Ninth grade in high school. You were taking a math test, one you hadn't studied for. The questions were there, but the answers weren't. You felt hopeless and you knew you were going to fail - that is, until you started hearing people talking.

But no one was actually talking. They were thinking, and you could hear it! You heard Heather Linchburg's thoughts, which consisted of her answers for the tests. You listened to her mental voice carefully, writing down every answer you could hear. The thoughts were sort-of incoherent - you had just discovered this ability, and it wasn't exactly trained - but you managed to crank out a test that was good enough to get you an A-.

Since then, you've practiced extensively on extending your telepathy. You got to the point where you could hear and sort of the thoughts of multiple people. You could read the thoughts of all three of your friends and point out exactly which thought belong to who while reading all of their thoughts at the exact same time. You were impressed by your ability and began to use it for evil deeds. You used your ability to get exactly what you wanted. You manipulated people to do whatever it was that you wanted, and you used it to gain leverage over others. You excelled at back-alley poker, which became a great source of income for you. You cheated in school and passed with phenomanal grades, earning you so many scholarships that you got a free ride to college, which you also excelled at through cheating.

That doesn't matter now.

The world was ravaged by some kind of newly-evolved strand of rabies. Modern antibiotics couldn't prevent it or cure it, and before an actual cure developed, the disease spread rapidly, infecting most of the world. Martial law went into effect soon after, but the disease was so contagious that spread faster than anyone could predict, and eventually, everything began to fall out. You managed to escape through the skin of your teeth, grabbing whatever weapons you could find on your way out. There wasn't a lot available to common "citizens" in safe zones - almost everything weaponized was confiscated by the military - but you did manage to grab what you have on your right now.

Bows are standard silent-killer weapons that you managed to grab before you left. You love being able to take down infected without being noticed, and you love being able to hunt for food should you need it. Alongside your bow, you have a very handy revolver. Even though it tends to be loud, you can still polish off enemies quickly and without hassle when using it. You don't feel quite as bad when you kill them with it, too. Your weapons serve you well, and you're glad you were able to grab them before everything went to shit.

You've been surviving for, what, three or four years? You can't really tell - time just seems to flow on endlessly. You do know that, in the time you've been alive, you haven't met a whole lot of non-infected humans. One or two here or there, but they've all been killed - one of them by you. You knew Kayla had it out for you from day one. She always seemed happy to be away from you, and you think she was hoping you would have been killed. It didn't occur to you until now to have attempted to read her thoughts, but it's best not to dwell on the past. Either way, you felt pretty relieved to have weight taken off your shoulder.
From my This War of Mine-inspired story, Bullet:
“Calm down,” Olivia patted my back. She reached over to Mark and unzipped his jacket. His gray t-shirt had a crimson hue near the stomach, and as she pulled the shirt up, the medium-sized bullet hole was a bitter, angry red with blood splattered all around, a sight that glared at us as it ricocheted pain throughout Mark's body. “Fuck... they must have hit him with a revolver. Kris, run upstairs and see if you can find some bandages. We need to get this patched.”

I nodded and ran towards and up the stairs. As I grabbed the door handle, however, the door suddenly flung open and knocked me down the stairs. I crash-landed on the concrete below, and before I could get up, a guy landed on top of me, crowbar in hand. “Motherfucker!” He tried to slam the crowbar down on my neck, but I grabbed it before he could and pushed it back. “What the fuck do you think you're doing in here?!”

“Kris!” Olivia shouted, running up to me. She grabbed the guy by the stomach and attempted to pull him off of me. He swung the crowbar to his right, nailing her in the thigh and causing her to buckle. I took the opportunity to throw a right hook at his face, knocking him to the ground. I grabbed him by jacket and flung him away from Olivia, causing him to skid across the floor. We all scrambled away, with Olivia quickly ducking under a desk as the guy ran for his crowbar. I charged at him as fast as I could and tackled him into a cabinet, sending large chunks of wood flying everywhere. He threw me off, sending me backwards onto the floor. I quickly grabbed the crowbar from nearby and swung wildly, nailing him in the stomach with the flat side.

He took the hit like it was nothing and crashed down on me again. I covered my face as he punched me several times. I thrusted the crowbar upwards, hitting him on the bridge of his nose. He shouted in pain, and I took the opportunity to swing the crowbar again and knock him off of me. He rolled onto the ground, holding his face. “God dammit! You broke my fucking nose!”

“Maybe you shouldn't fucking attack me!” I shouted back, throwing the crowbar to the side. “We're not hostile, you asshole. We needed a place to help our fr–”

Before I could finish my sentence, he rushed into me and slammed me into the wall. He punched me several times in the ribs as I attempted to push him off me before he tossed me to the ground and went in for a kick. Before he could, he suddenly started screaming in pain. I looked up and saw Olivia blasting a spray of mace in his eyes, causing him to fall back in pain. “Lay another fucking hand on him and that crowbar goes through your eye!” She screamed angrily. She ran over and pulled me to my feet, making sure to be gentle. “Kris, are you okay?”

“Yeah...” I coughed. My ribs hurt like hell – he probably broke one or two. “God damn...”
Prices:

Security Deposit:

I require a security deposit before I begin writing. The deposit ensures that I will be compensated regardless of whether or not the game is seen to completion. If your game is, in-fact, seen to completion, your deposit will be refunded. Should you choose to cancel your game before it is completed, your deposit will not be refunded. The deposit must be transferred before I begin working on the script.
  • Less than 10,000 Words: $20 USD
  • 10,000 - 25,000 Words: $30 USD
  • 25,000 - 50,000 Words: $50 USD
  • More than 50,000 Words: $70+ USD
Character Development:

When hired, I give three free characters for development. Every extra character will cost $20 USD as a base, and the rest of the price is determined by the following chart. Note that you will still have final say in character development and can give me traits to add to the character should you feel you dislike the direction I am taking the character in.
  • LGBT+ Characters: $10 USD
  • Female Character (Teen/Adult): $15/20 USD
  • Male Character (Teen/Adult): $20/25 USD
  • Children Characters: $20 USD
Please note that prices do not stack and I will determine where your character fits into the list if they are not LGBT+.

Writing Rate:

After struggling to find a decent amount to charge for my writing, I have decided to go with $0.03 USD per word. Should you wish to have the paper formatted so that it can be directly c/p'd into Ren'Py, the price will be $0.04 USD per word.

Editing/Proofreading Rates:

With proofreading, I will mark mistakes that I feel need to be corrected and nothing more. The cost for proofreading is $0.01 USD per word. With editing, I will fix mistakes myself and leave a log of what I changed. The cost for editing is $0.02 USD per word. You are welcome to undo any changes I make during editing and you are welcome to ignore anything I mark during proofreading. I use both OpenOffice Writer and Google Docs.

Cancellation of Services:

Should you decide that you wish to discontinue my services, I will not require payment for uncompleted work. However, all completed work must be compensated. Please take this very seriously when you are considering hiring me.

Open Slots:

I will only work for two projects at a time, as my writing can be time consuming and I honestly don't have all the time in the world to give to a bunch of projects. I want to make sure that the projects I work on are going to come out high quality. If these slots are taken, please do not PM to write for you. I will politely decline.
  • OPEN
  • OPEN
Conclusion:

If you have any questions about my prices or my writing abilities, please feel free to send me a PM! I will respond to you as fast as I can. Thank you, and have a great day! :D
Last edited by trevers18 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rozume
Veteran
Completed: Munster Academy, boy
Projects: Coming of Age VN
Organization: Cosmic Visual
IRC Nick: Rozume

Re: Writer, Editor, and Proofreader for Hire [Paid]

#2 Post by Rozume »

Hi there Trever! It's great that you're offering you're services and you seem like a very skilled writer, I think lots of people would love to have you as their writer! However, reading through your thread I must comment on your prices:

They are ridiculously low.

Now, I understand you want people to hire you but I that many people would not feel comfortable hiring someone with these rates. You offer $10-20 on something on a piece that's less than 10k words, which is about 1/100-2/50th of a penny per word (correct me if my math is wrong). Please don't do this. I understand that you are not a professional, so it may seem off putting to you to charge professional rates but trust me on this one charging that much for the amount of work you do is not worth it. To put in perspective, I used to charge $5 for a painted portrait that took me 8 hours to make; I spent way too much time on something way too little and I felt horrible about myself for it.

I do write as well, so I do understand how much work and time it takes to write something, especially for something decent. And after seeing your prices (and knowing that you're a student) you WILL burn yourself out.

You don't have to take my advice and you can keep your wages the same if that's what you want to do but I strongly recommend against it.

trevers18
Regular

#3 Post by trevers18 »

See I'm preeeeeeetty bad at determining the worth of things so I wouldn't know that at all. I was going to do by-word but I couldn't think what they would be realistically. I'll change things

DeG

#4 Post by DeG »

You seem like a pretty well-rounded person for the job. I personally don't have the need for your services at this time, but anyone thinking over it should give this guy a try.

trevers18
Regular

#5 Post by trevers18 »

Okay, price change time. I still feel a bit uncomfortable charging so much (I was originally going to do $0.05 per word, but I didn't feel okay taking $500 for a 10,000 word project), but, because this IS for money and because I, according to others, am apparently a decent writer, I don't want to undercut myself and undervalue my work. If the prices are off-putting, I apologize.