Is anime on its death bed?

For the rest of your otaku life.
LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Is anime on its death bed?

#16 Post by LVUER »

BTW, Himegoto is not your ordinary moe blob anime... the anime doesn't do any justice to the manga. Himegoto is a TRAP anime... which is a very niche genre in already niche market. I'm not going to recommend the anime though... go straight to the manga.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Star Driver

#17 Post by Star Driver »

As consumers we expect to be entertained and yet the entertainment must also be profitable. The dilemma applies to commercial visual novels as well. As consumers we want products to meet our standards even though those same standards may be part of a niche market. It's madness!

The desire for creative freedom versus the need to maximize profit. The desire to produce something different versus the need to please a broad audience. It's madness!

I do not know what will happen ten years into the future but crowd funding has made it possible for studios to be paid, have creative freedom, and work on a project where profit may not be primary driving force. No commercials. No gimmicks.

Sadly the constant desire for entertainment can turn out to be too much of a good thing. When entertainment is saturated you either have to up the ante just to keep desensitized people coming back or spit out a repetitive formula that panders but sells. The Japanese animation industry has thrown the sword at your table - are you not entertained?

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#18 Post by Lishy »

Unfortunately, there are those who absolutely refuse to like any anime, unless it features panty shots, ecchi, and loli fanservice. You see these people lurking sites like SankakuComplex, and making ignorant statements about "feminazis" (feminists).

It's sad. But hopefully they stay the minority.
-

DarkSin
Regular
Completed: Rituals in the Dark (GxG), Sweetest Monster (BxG), My Magical Divorce Bureau!!
Projects: Innate Imperfections (GxG)
Organization: SinSystem
itch: darksin

#19 Post by DarkSin »

Anime is losing its originality I feel, every anime I see coming out lately is something that I feel has been done before.
Last edited by DarkSin on Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#20 Post by Hijiri »

DarkSin wrote:Every anime I see coming out lately is all something that's been done before. Anime is quickly losing it's originality, the same done-to-death cliches being repeated over and over again. It's all good if you've just gotten into anime, but for a long time watcher it gets boring and redundant. Every once or twice a year something new and good comes out, though, so I never really abandon watching anime altogether. It's occasional gems like these that keep my interest. That, and sometimes I just feel like watching some unoriginal romcom for the sheer momentary, mindless entertainment.
That's the issue with any form of entertainment you consume in bulk. Plus, when you compare it with other media, a lot of the stuff in anime isn't really original.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

DarkSin
Regular
Completed: Rituals in the Dark (GxG), Sweetest Monster (BxG), My Magical Divorce Bureau!!
Projects: Innate Imperfections (GxG)
Organization: SinSystem
itch: darksin

#21 Post by DarkSin »

Hijiri wrote:That's the issue with any form of entertainment you consume in bulk. Plus, when you compare it with other media, a lot of the stuff in anime isn't really original.
From my experience, this is especially true for anime.