For the rest of your otaku life.
TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

Which version of romaji do you prefer?

#1 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

My VN will use a reasonable amount of Japanese, and will be aimed at people who are learning Japanese.

My intention is to have 2 ways to display Japanese: One using Kanji, and the other using Hiragana. The player will be able to select if hovering over a Japanese word shows Hiragana or Romaji.

So my question there is, do you feel it would be better to use traditional Hepburn romanization, modified Hepburn romanization, or something different?
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

mymille

Re: Which version of romaji do you prefer?

#2 Post by mymille »

I think traditional is better than modified
Modified might mislead people the proper way of pronouncing the word.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#3 Post by KomiTsuku »

I'd stick with modified as it is the more modern and in use version. Also, since you are trying to teach them how to read it, you should stick with the one that gives a more literal translation.

Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

#4 Post by Shinoki »

I prefer modified. I personally think that mispronouncing things when reading the romaji is more of a problem of emphasizing the wrong sound.

hiko27
Veteran
Projects: Tsundere-sama (working title)
Tumblr: crappyassdrawings
Deviantart: tsunderenyan
Discord: erikaaaa#6140

#5 Post by hiko27 »

Modified is better since it's what's commonly used today. Though for me, I prefer traditional in regards to long vowels. I never really liked the bars above those with the modified version. But it really depends on what you want to do, and who your audience is. Since you're aiming to help those who're learning Japanese, it's better to use modified to help them with pronounciation. It's also what's commonly used in written material as far as I know (for furigana that is).
My art thread
links to portfolios

an otome game from a tsundere's pov

Tyrantauranox
Regular

#6 Post by Tyrantauranox »

I wouldn't use Romaji, but if I did, I'd go with the one that has: a, i, u, e, o, ka, ki, ku, ke, ko, sa, shi, su, se, so, ta, chi, tsu, te, to, na, ni, nu, ne, no, ha, hi, fu, he, ho, ma, mi, mu, me, mo, ya, yu, yo, ra, ri, ru, re, ro, wa, wo, and n

Ernestalice15
Regular
Projects: One Last Crane, Demoness, The Golden Catalyst
Organization: Animon Works
IRC Nick: Nomina
Tumblr: ernestalice15
Deviantart: Ernestalice15

#7 Post by Ernestalice15 »

I prefer something like these :
"Jaaku" rather than "Jyaaku"
"Ocha" rather than "Ocya"
"Shougakkou" rather than "Syogakko (I don't know how to type letters with line above them... lol)"
"Tsuzuku" rather than "Tsuduku"

If it's for learning how to read, then I prefer those above, perhaps because I read them so since long, but if for searching in dictionary and you can't type Japanese letters (you can use google translate's function, though, but still), the case like "Tsuzuku" and "Tsuduku", as much as I can remember, it will output right when you type it "Tsuduku" or "Tsudzuku".