So, I'm planning a project, but it requires some extensive coding that I... simply cannot do. I can program battle systems, card games, and a cooking minigame into my visual novels, but that's basic using the Ren'Py language and a lot of if statements. It's gotten so frustrating, I created this account and come out of lurking to ask for help.
What I need the game to do is this:
- Connect to a particular webpage.
- Retrieve a true/false variable from the webpage, which will be generated by the site with... probably php code of sorts. (I'm not programming the page, it goes over my head, so I don't know what the programmer will use)
- Upon a 'true' variable, check for updates.
- Download said updates and apply them to the game.
- Upon a 'false' variable, direct the game to a 'Sorry, you do not have permission to play this game' screen in the Ren'Py game. (This one is fairly simple, I think)
Now, I was looking at this
code, which looks like it's capable of what I need to do. I think I can get it to connect to the page, but beyond that, I'm a bit lost. The variables being defined in that code also confuses me a bit. And I know I said there was a programmer involved, but they're only doing the site and can't help with the game side of things. And only if I can get this to work.
I just have a few questions:
- Is it compatible with the latest version of Ren'Py?
- How would I tweak it to receive the variable information? (I'm sorry, I usually need examples to understand code, and the documentation page gives me next to nothing to work on)
- Would it be possible to import more than just the true/false information?
Thank you, so much, for any help you can give. I'm sorry I'm such a programming idiot xD;;