Running Ren'Py 6.10 Games on Ubuntu 14.04 and later

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Running Ren'Py 6.10 Games on Ubuntu 14.04 and later

#1 Post by PyTom »

Posted here so google and other search engines can find it.

To get Katawa Shoujo and other circa Ren'Py 6.10 games running on Ubuntu 14.04, run (as root):

Code: Select all

dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt-get update
apt-get install libc6:i386 zlib1g:i386 libx11-6:i386 libxext6:i386 libxrender1:i386 libxrandr2:i386 libxcursor1:i386 libpulse0:i386
This should probably work for earlier games. 6.11 - 6.14 games may require you to install the i386 libgl1 package appropriate for your hardware, or run in software mode. If there's a specific game someone wants to get working, let me know and I can see if I can provide instructions.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

NInquietezPas

Re: Running Ren'Py 6.10 Games on Ubuntu 14.04 and later

#2 Post by NInquietezPas »

I tried this for Katawa Shoujo on Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit, and the "Katawa Shoujo.sh" file wouldn't run. I checked permissions and put what you posted directly into the terminal, prefaced by sudo. What should I do?

Sigh. Maybe I'm just not meant to be able to run this game.