Parsing error

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Mescalino
Soundcloud: Mescalino

Parsing error

#1 Post by Mescalino »

Ok i created the first part of the storry and when i run the game i get the following error:

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but errors were detected in your script. Please correct the
errors listed below, and try again.

File "game/chapter1.rpy", line 7: Line is indented, but the preceding scene statement statement does not expect a block. Please check this line's indentation.
    "In the corner of the screen (when the game begins) you will see 3 stats: Friendship, Love and Lust."
    ^

File "game/chapter1.rpy", line 19: Line is indented, but the preceding scene statement statement does not expect a block. Please check this line's indentation.
    "This is your mother."
    ^

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.99.12.4.2187
This is the file chapter1.rpy so far:

Code: Select all

label chapter1:

scene black with dissolve

# These display lines of dialogue.

"In the corner of the screen (when the game begins) you will see 3 stats: Friendship, Love and Lust."
  "I think they are pretty self exploretary but here it goes anyways:"
  "Friendship: She likes and respects you."
  "Love: The feelings run deeper and she starting to love you on a deeper level."
  "Lust: She wants you. :)"
  "Keep these points as high as possible as some options may not be available with to low scores."
  "Enjoy!"

label intro:
show screen gui_screen()
scene intro with dissolve

"This is your mother."
    "You are an 19 year old boy who lives with his mother."
    "You live alone together for a while now."
    "Like a scene from a bad soap opera, your father left the two of you. He ran of with his 21 year old secratary"
    "The marriage was never realy good. When your sister was born prematurely and died things went even more downhill."
    "You where only 6 years old at the time but you do rember you father screaming a lot at her."
    "Later you found out that because of this she had become infertile."
    "Since your father took of your bond has become much stronger and depended more and more on eachother."
    "For a moment money was an issue but together you managed to get by if only barely."
    "But last month got even more bad news. The old aunt of my mother had passed away. She had more money then god as they say and no relatives."
    "The total of the inheritage was devided 50/50 between your mom and her sister (who is curently abroad for business)."
    "Mother never told the amount but she said we could live like royalties till we die so i asume its a big amount."

label part1_kitchen:
    mc "Good morning mom."
    M "Good morning my darling son."
    MC "Wow, yuo soud awfully cheerfull this morning. I like it."
    M "Yes please sit down, i would like to talk to you."
    MC "That sounds serious..."
    M "Will it kinda is but not in a bad way. You are not in trouble, if that's what you are wondering."
    MC "Ok, you got me curious now..."

# This ends the game.
return
I don't see whats wrong.

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

Re: Parsing error

#2 Post by Remix »

Your indentation is awry, you really need to use a set number of spaces (I use 4 myself) per block/tab. Most decent editors allows you to set that in preferences.

Within the code...
Everything inside a label (or any 'block' ending with a colon : (e.g. menu: ) must be indented, including the scene and show statements.
Each nested block indents by one more level... e.g. label -> 4 spaces, menu inside label -> 8 spaces
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

Mescalino
Soundcloud: Mescalino

Re: Parsing error

#3 Post by Mescalino »

Ah ok, thanks ill try that