Renpy games won't work

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
burdebc

Renpy games won't work

#1 Post by burdebc »

None of my Renpy games work, unfortunately I have no idea what I have done to cause the problem. If any more information is needed please let me know. Below is my traceback for Moonlight, I will also upload the files that are mentioned in the traceback. Thanks in advance for the help.

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

error: Unable to open a console terminal

After initialization, but before game start.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "/home/burdebc/Downloads/visual-novels/moonlight-2.0-linux-x86/renpy/bootstrap.py", line 247, in bootstrap
    renpy.main.main()
  File "/home/burdebc/Downloads/visual-novels/moonlight-2.0-linux-x86/renpy/main.py", line 298, in main
    game.interface = renpy.display.core.Interface()
  File "/home/burdebc/Downloads/visual-novels/moonlight-2.0-linux-x86/renpy/display/core.py", line 1068, in __init__
    self.display = Display(self)
  File "/home/burdebc/Downloads/visual-novels/moonlight-2.0-linux-x86/renpy/display/core.py", line 674, in __init__
    pygame.display.init()
error: Unable to open a console terminal

After initialization, but before game start.

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.8.1a
Attachments
core.py
display/core.py
(57.31 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
main.py
main.py
(8.76 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
bootstrap.py
bootstrap.py
(11.33 KiB) Downloaded 57 times

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Renpy games won't work

#2 Post by PyTom »

What sort of system are you on? Can you post the traceback.txt and log.txt, if any?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

burdebc

#3 Post by burdebc »

I am currently running Kubuntu 12.04 64 bit. I am using the proprietary driver for my video card which is a Radeon HD4670. The traceback.txt is in the code section in my first post, but I will attach it as well. I don't have any log.txt or error.txt. I hope this helps.
Attachments
traceback.txt
traceback.txt
(946 Bytes) Downloaded 62 times

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#4 Post by PyTom »

Can you try running:

SDL_VIDEODRIVER=x11 ./renpy.sh

?

burdebc

#5 Post by burdebc »

PyTom wrote:Can you try running:

?
Sorry, you completely lost me. Can you give me some informaiton about what this command does and how to run it? Thanks.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#6 Post by PyTom »

You open a terminal, change into the directory containing Ren'Py, and enter that command. It tries to force a different video driver, one more likely to work.

burdebc

#7 Post by burdebc »

Ok, I got the games working only after I put all of the games into my renpy directory and launched them through ren'py. Before I was simply unpacking the game and opening the script from the file manager. After I realized that the command

actually opened ren'py (which I should have realized as soon as I saw it) I decided to put the games I have downloaded where the "default" (i.e.: the question) games go and they launched. I can now simply open ren'py and launch any game I want, but the sound doesn't work. I think I started having issues with games not working after I tried to get 5.1 surround sound to work properly with all of my anime videos. I can't remember the tutorial I followed off hand that may have caused the issue, but once I find it I will post it. Lastly on my computer ren'py is installed as renpy.py, so I had to change the command to suit. Thanks for your help.

burdebc

#8 Post by burdebc »

I just downloaded the latest version of ren'py and ran the "SDL_VIDEODRIVER=x11 ./renpy.sh" command to open ren'py and got the following in my terminal:

ALSA lib conf.c:3314:(snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default

burdebc

#9 Post by burdebc »

I have managed to get things working somewhat. I can get games working simply by double-clicking the script for the games by installing lib32asound2, but I still have no sound. I also had problems with intro videos playing but that was cured by installing Kubuntu Restricted Extras. The trick to getting the videos working came from the following forum:

http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=6320

The problem discussed here is identical to the problem I am having. I have also followed the proposed fixes to get sound back to no avail. However, I can run the windows version of ren'py through wine and get sound that way, but videos and transitions are a bit choppy so I would really like to play games through the natively in linux.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#10 Post by PyTom »

There's a couple things to try here. The first is to try installing the ia32-libs package, which includes things required to make Ren'Py work.

I just tried downloading Moonlight Walks to my Ubuntu system, and it started up fine.

burdebc

#11 Post by burdebc »

Everything working fine now. Thanks. This saves me from having to reinstall. Lastly it may be a good idea to start a support section for people like me who know just enough to be dangerous. Though I have no idea how often this happens and how much there really is to screw up.