Trouble changing .exe icon

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
creepybrow

Trouble changing .exe icon

#1 Post by creepybrow »

I read the Ren py wiki for changing the icon for the executable launcher which said that I had to create a icon.ico file for windows, or icns for mac. I am using windows 7 32 bit version. The wiki said to stick my new .ico file into the game directory, and not the "game folder". I figured, ok, sure, I will just launch the engine and have it take me there since I am not sure that I could find it. Placing some random image I took time to create in paint, and downloading countless programs just to not only create the image, but change the file extension as well turned out to be a real pain. I still feel like I am at square one. If anyone has advice I would appreciate it. Oh, and the version of Ren py I am using is 6.13.11.1715

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Trouble changing .exe icon

#2 Post by PyTom »

It's the base directory - the one above the game directory. Your best bet is to make an image, send it here:

http://iconverticons.com/

And then download and rename the produced files.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

creepybrow

#3 Post by creepybrow »

I feel like an idiot right now. I went there and renamed my files, and put everything into the base directory, or what I think is the base directory. Ok, so the steps I took were:
1. Open Ren py 16.13.11
2. Open Dreams
3. Open Second dreams folder(I don't know why there are two, but there are.)
4. Place the images for my game.exe inside, and rename the 48, 32, and 16 img files "Dreams" because I figure they are all going toward the icon image.
5. Build distributables
Then when I check to see what's been done I get the same renpy app icon to launch my game. Unless there was a step I did horribly wrong, I am completely lost. I am more of a visual learner, so I tried looking up a video on how to do this, but no go. Thanks for your patients in advance, I am kind of a slow learner when it comes to learning new things.

ket

#4 Post by ket »

Hi Creepybrow;

First of all, the place to put the icon is in the first folder (where the folder named "game" is)

Now, you should be sure about the .ico format... Its not just making a .bmp and changing the extension to .ico.
If you use photoshop, you can download this plugin and use it to save in .favicon format (thats the icons format).

ICO (Windows Icon) Format
http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/

Hope that this could help you

KeT.

TrailsInTheSky
Regular
Projects: I'm Not The Perfect Guy For Her

#5 Post by TrailsInTheSky »

I have the same problem. :(