Monster Girl Quest Style Battle Engine?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
facadepapergirl
Regular
Projects: Pokemon: Final Evolution; Galactic Lust Crisis

Monster Girl Quest Style Battle Engine?

#1 Post by facadepapergirl »

For my Pokemon fanVN I wanted to use the battle engine used in Monster Girl Quest. Obviously, I don't know how to do that, and Monster Girl Quest isn't Ren'Py, so I cannot simply dissect the script. Does anyone know how to make it, or at least a similar engine?

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: Monster Girl Quest Style Battle Engine?

#2 Post by papillon »

Since not everyone has PLAYED it, can you describe how that battle engine works?

There are a handful of RPG-type games made in RenPy, but since that isn't really what the engine is designed for, it usually takes a programmer who knows what they're doing.

facadepapergirl
Regular
Projects: Pokemon: Final Evolution; Galactic Lust Crisis

#3 Post by facadepapergirl »

I was really hoping for someone who has played it, since I doubt that I can explain it well enough. But, I'll give it a go... Actually, these screenshots should help.
Untitled.png
There are health bars, a level system, and buttons that lead to attack options.
jhv.png
Clicking on skills leads to a skills page that have animations when applied. They seem to be simple background changes and quick hide show animations.
oujbhyu.png
It also shows random damage based off equipment, character level and enemy level, in addition to health bar changes.

I want to be able to show characters facing each other. I don't think that will change anything, but I feel that I should put that out there. The more I look at it, the simpler it seems, though I still don't know enough to figure it out myself. Any help, including similar engines, are much appreciated.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#4 Post by LVUER »

I've played Monster Girl Quest and some RPG RenPy games. I think it's very doable to program entire MQG with RenPy, but just like Papillon said, it takes a programmer who knows Phyton and RenPy.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Castle of Arhannia

#5 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

if you do go through with this, I suggest you not replicate the feel of monster girl quest's battles. specifically, having the player try to figure what precise combination of attacks will win the battle to the point of being a puzzle more than a battle requires a lot of individual work. it's easier to just come up with some simple math formulas that include a random function and then estimate what would be appropriate for each battle. it's also a good idea to use a lot of modular animations for your attacks (like what pokemon does).

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#6 Post by nyaatrap »

It's fairly easy to make these type of scripts with python. Here is a short demo code to do it:
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=19245
As you can see, it's under 50 lines to make a simple battle system.

rhythmcesar

#7 Post by rhythmcesar »

gimme gimme gimme