Ren'Py on Win95???

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

Ren'Py on Win95???

#1 Post by Der Tor »

Will Ren'Py run on Windows 95 (i am mainly referring to the games created with it).
Or maybe the better question is... up to what version will it run on Windows 95?

(collecting old computers is kinda hobby of mine - but mainly because I can't afford new ones :-)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Ren'Py on Win95???

#2 Post by PyTom »

No. I believe that XP is the minimum version, although there's an outside chance that Ren'Py will still run on 2000. 95 is missing many of the Unicode APIs that Ren'Py uses.

(I think some of the older versions ran on 95, but I don't know offhand where support was dropped.)

Also, win95-era computers are boring compared to the real old stuff. C=64! Apple ][e! and so on.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

Re: Ren'Py on Win95???

#3 Post by jack_norton »

Why don't you try to install Linux in those computer and see how it works? I think you've more chances of running the new Ren'Py games that way :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games