What is xpos and ypos?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
SayuriSakurai

What is xpos and ypos?

#1 Post by SayuriSakurai »

I've been making a visual novel in Ren'Py based on my manga, "Love At Last Sight". Really, really want to know how to customize my textbox. And I don't get how the Star Effect works (you know, the "thousand flying stars"effect that Eileen described in the tutorial that came with the Ren'Py app).

I've been doing pretty good, though. I am kinda young to be understanding code. I just hope someone helps me understand what xpos, ypos, xanchor, yanchor, and padding are.Thanx! :)

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: What is xpos and ypos?

#2 Post by Donmai »

Well, Sayuri, since you have mentioned the Ren'Py tutorial game, I must say there is a very good explanation there about positioning displayables on the screen: just click on the "Screen positions" button in the lessons menu, and follow the instructions. It's a very well done tutorial, I believe I could not explain it better.

The code that create the starfield effect Eileen is showing can be found in the start of the script "tutorial_sprites.rpy", inside the Tutorial Game folder.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)