Lemma Soft Forums

Supporting creators of visual novels and story-based games since 2003.

Visit our new games list, blog aggregator, IRC, and wiki.
Activation problem? Email [email protected]
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Ask questions about one topic per thread, and use a descriptive subject. "NotImplemented error in script.rpy" is a good subject, "Tom's problems" is not. Remember to include all of traceback.txt or error.txt when reporting a problem, as well as the relevant lines of script. Use the [code] tag to format scripts.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:40 am 

As I detailed at https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/renpy-allinone/ when I run renpy on ArchLinux (any game, including 'the question') I don't hear any audio (though the audio stream is registered, I see a volume control for it). As well when I quit the game the window closes but the process doesn't go away, and I have to manually kill python.

Otherwise the games work fine. The problem doesn't seem to be audio driver dependent (I tried forcing it to pulse, alsa, and oss, and all exhibited the exact same issue). Also there is no terminal output indicating a problem, even when setting config.debug_audio=true. I tried both 6.15.7 and the latest git as of yesterday.

I realize this doesn't affect everyone, but I need help to diagnose the issue further. (I'm an experienced developer, but not with python)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:16 pm 
Ren'Py Creator

Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
I think the first step would be to download Ren'Py from http://www.renpy.org/ , and see if the problem persists. That will tell us if the problem is with Ren'Py, or with the packaging.

(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face in marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:00 pm 

I downloaded the SDK and attempt to run renpy.sh, but I get the following:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While loading the script.
Exception: Module _errorhandling could not be loaded.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "/home/stephen/renpy-6.15.7-sdk/renpy/bootstrap.py", line 265, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "/home/stephen/renpy-6.15.7-sdk/renpy/main.py", line 203, in main
renpy.exports.load_module("_errorhandling")
File "/home/stephen/renpy-6.15.7-sdk/renpy/exports.py", line 1454, in load_module
initcode = renpy.game.script.load_module(name)
File "/home/stephen/renpy-6.15.7-sdk/renpy/script.py", line 193, in load_module
raise Exception("Module %s could not be loaded." % name)
Exception: Module _errorhandling could not be loaded.

Linux-3.10.9-1-ARCH-i686-with-glibc2.0
Ren'Py 6.15.7.374

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:51 pm 

Disregard the previous post, it turned out that the installation had set some environment variables. After restarting, the downloaded renpy-sdk is starting properly, however the original bug seems unchanged.

If I run the launcher with ./renpy.sh and then run a game I have to killall pythonw to get rid of the process. (The launcher itself exits gracefully so I can still use the terminal)
If I run ./renpy.sh the_question then I have to killall renpy to get the terminal back.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:45 pm 

Sound worked for me once today, but not when I ran the program again. Again, if this was a C++ program I would know how to run gdb and get a dump of all the running threads to find out where it was getting locked up (since it refuses to exit gracefully when I quit the problem is likely a deadlock or infinite loop) However since it's a C module in python I have no idea how to help you.

I assume you can't reproduce, but could you tell me how to diagnose this problem myself?