Need help with character pictures

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
lynxian
Projects: Imbroglio

Re: Need help with character pictures

#16 Post by lynxian »

I found a wonderful tutorial a while back that explains how to do transparency in SAI. Hopefully it'll be helpful.

Din Redfire
Projects: Arcadia's Tales

#17 Post by Din Redfire »

Well apparently it has to do with my coloring technique since I use a lot of luminosity and multiply for my light and shading according to a friend. She even tried to work on my shading to fix it, and showed me on stream but the strange thing is that it worked for her and when I download the picture... It still have that white background v_v

I'll try to search for a new Sai version, because I did saw that tutorial but the option is not appearing when I try saving in png.

NoSoAna

#18 Post by NoSoAna »

I do the drawings on paper, scan, and then use GIMP for adding transparency.

What I do in GIMP is:
Make a free-form select of the char
Copy the selected char using ctrl-c
make a new picture in gimp
delete the existing layer
copy the char into the new picture using ctrl-v
"export to" a png file

In your case I believe that the autoselect function might work better than for me, but you will have to see. Possibly you might be able to copy from SAI to gimp (if selecting in SAI works better.)

Din Redfire

#19 Post by Din Redfire »

I don't know exactly why or how but for my friend it worked just fine. She made me download the picture again and the background is now invisible:

I will work on my technique for the next sprites, hopefully it will work next time. Thank you all for the advices, I'll take them in mind for my next drawings.

doudoulolita

#20 Post by doudoulolita »

As I'm french, I don't know exactly the words in english to explain another way but I'll try :
Open your picture in Gimp, find the layer Box (CTRL +L) and make a right click on the small background picture in the layer box, to add the alpha channel

Then use the tool to select the color in the Tool box, and click in your picture, on a white part.

Delete the selected color with the DEL key on your keyboard.

Save as the picture as a png (File > Save as... or Export, depending on your version of Gimp, then write the extension at the end of the file name)

Other way is to use the Colors menu : there is a tool which can transform a color into alpha (which means transparent). You have to save in png exactly the same.

Din Redfire

#21 Post by Din Redfire »

Thank you! (I speak french too by the way ^^)