Set 'dissolve' transition as default transition

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Eliont
Regular
Completed: Begin of Evangelion, SAO - Smile of the black cat, SAO - Project "Ceramic Heart", Time for Dragons

Set 'dissolve' transition as default transition

#1 Post by Eliont »

Hello and good time of day.

show event1 at truecenter with dissolve <-- is there any way don't write 'with dissolve' in each statement?
If i want instant, i will wriite 'with None'.

May by it possible with http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/config.ht ... h_callback but i can't figure out how.

Thanks in advance.

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

Re: Set 'dissolve' transition as default transition

#2 Post by Asceai »

I'm not sure how it would be done, but I think it needs to be attached to Show somehow - not sure if it's possible to redefine something like 'show' with user-defined statements, but if so that's a possibility - alternatively, using a renamed version of 'show' that just comes with an implicit dissolve might be a better way.

The reason you wouldn't want to just blanket inject dissolve transitions everywhere with the callback is that implicit 'withs' are called in a lot of places, like for every block of text, and it ends up not producing the results you want anyway.

I agree that we want something like this because I find myself using dissolve for expression changes and things like that and needing to 'with dissolve' everything is a pain.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot about config.show. Interested to see if it and renpy.transition can be combined to get the desired effect..

EDIT 2: Okay, this is a start:

Code: Select all

init python:
    def replacement_show(*args, **kwargs):
        renpy.transition(dissolve)
        return renpy.show(*args, **kwargs)
    config.show = replacement_show
It is not a complete solution. In particular, the text box does a dissolve fade-in when show is used. Ideally the dissolve in will take place before and the text box will just appear. Not currently sure how to do this.

Eliont
Regular
Completed: Begin of Evangelion, SAO - Smile of the black cat, SAO - Project "Ceramic Heart", Time for Dragons

#3 Post by Eliont »

Thanks, it works.

Code: Select all

def replacement_show(*args, **kwargs):
        renpy.transition(Dissolve(1))
        renpy.show(*args, **kwargs)
        renpy.pause(1.5, hard=True)
        return 
    config.show = replacement_show

def replacement_hide(*args, **kwargs):
        renpy.transition(Dissolve(1))
        renpy.hide(*args, **kwargs)
        renpy.pause(1.5, hard=True)
        return 
    config.hide = replacement_hide  
But textbox don't dissolve - it appear and disappear instantly. Is there any way to apply transition to window?

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#4 Post by Donmai »

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 55#p310555
You will need Ren'Py 6.17 or later.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)